|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2011-05-22 21:56:26
|
Hey, I'm contemplating if we should switch back to the latest and greatest kernel again. This may have some impact on stability and of course we'll sometimes have to wait for a patch to come out. The benefit would be having the latest and greatest drivers available. Thoughts? -- Regards Heiko Zuerker http://www.devil-linux.org |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@re...> - 2011-05-22 22:24:24
|
I like the latest and greatest. At least close to the latest and greatest as possible. I'm not sure what you mean by impact on stability. Is the latest kernel more or less stable? - BS On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 17:56, Heiko Zuerker <he...@zu...> wrote: > Hey, > > I'm contemplating if we should switch back to the latest and greatest > kernel again. This may have some impact on stability and of course > we'll sometimes have to wait for a patch to come out. > > The benefit would be having the latest and greatest drivers available. > > Thoughts? > > -- > > Regards > Heiko Zuerker > http://www.devil-linux.org > > > > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ > What Every C/C++ and Fortran developer Should Know! > Read this article and learn how Intel has extended the reach of its > next-generation tools to help Windows* and Linux* C/C++ and Fortran > developers boost performance applications - including clusters. > http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-dev2devmay > _______________________________________________ > Devil-linux-develop mailing list > Dev...@li... > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/devil-linux-develop > |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2011-05-22 22:47:06
|
Hey, the 2.6.32.x serious was declared the long term stable and only bug fixes are added. Newer kernel have newer code, which of course "could" introduce bugs. Heiko Quoting Bruce Smith <bw...@re...>: > I like the latest and greatest. At least close to the latest and greatest > as possible. > > I'm not sure what you mean by impact on stability. Is the latest kernel > more or less stable? > > - BS > > > On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 17:56, Heiko Zuerker <he...@zu...> wrote: > >> Hey, >> >> I'm contemplating if we should switch back to the latest and greatest >> kernel again. This may have some impact on stability and of course >> we'll sometimes have to wait for a patch to come out. >> >> The benefit would be having the latest and greatest drivers available. >> >> Thoughts? >> >> -- >> >> Regards >> Heiko Zuerker >> http://www.devil-linux.org >> >> >> >> >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ >> What Every C/C++ and Fortran developer Should Know! >> Read this article and learn how Intel has extended the reach of its >> next-generation tools to help Windows* and Linux* C/C++ and Fortran >> developers boost performance applications - including clusters. >> http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-dev2devmay >> _______________________________________________ >> Devil-linux-develop mailing list >> Dev...@li... >> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/devil-linux-develop >> -- Regards Heiko Zuerker http://www.devil-linux.org |
|
From: Serge L. <ser...@gm...> - 2011-05-23 01:40:29
|
Heiko, I'm fine with it. I live on .38.6 now and it looks fine. The possible problems are: - imq patch - grsec & aufs incompatibility. Serge On 05/22/2011 02:56 PM, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > Hey, > > I'm contemplating if we should switch back to the latest and greatest > kernel again. This may have some impact on stability and of course > we'll sometimes have to wait for a patch to come out. > > The benefit would be having the latest and greatest drivers available. > > Thoughts? > |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2011-05-27 02:01:13
|
Hey, I got most of the issues resolved, except aoe6: ---------- /data/build/tmp/aoe6-76/linux/drivers/block/aoe/aoecmd.c: In function 'aoe_end_request': /data/build/tmp/aoe6-76/linux/drivers/block/aoe/aoecmd.c:1171: error: implicit declaration of function '__generic_unplug_device' make[2]: *** [/data/build/tmp/aoe6-76/linux/drivers/block/aoe/aoecmd.o] Error 1 make[1]: *** [_module_/data/build/tmp/aoe6-76/linux/drivers/block/aoe] Error 2 make[1]: Leaving directory `/data/build/tmp/linux-2.6.38' ----------- Any ideas anyone? The kernel I'm using is 2.6.38.7 -- Regards Heiko Zuerker http://www.devil-linux.org > -----Original Message----- > From: Serge Leschinsky [mailto:ser...@gm...] > Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2011 8:40 PM > To: dev...@li... > Subject: Re: [Devil-linux-develop] kernel > > Heiko, > > I'm fine with it. > > I live on .38.6 now and it looks fine. The possible problems are: > - imq patch > - grsec & aufs incompatibility. > > Serge > > On 05/22/2011 02:56 PM, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > > Hey, > > > > I'm contemplating if we should switch back to the latest and greatest > > kernel again. This may have some impact on stability and of course > > we'll sometimes have to wait for a patch to come out. > > > > The benefit would be having the latest and greatest drivers available. > > > > Thoughts? > > > > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- > What Every C/C++ and Fortran developer Should Know! > Read this article and learn how Intel has extended the reach of its next- > generation tools to help Windows* and Linux* C/C++ and Fortran developers > boost performance applications - including clusters. > http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-dev2devmay > _______________________________________________ > Devil-linux-develop mailing list > Dev...@li... > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/devil-linux-develop |
|
From: Serge L. <ser...@gm...> - 2011-05-27 02:21:15
|
Heiko, I'll send you a fix shortly. The problem is in the function definition, which is how in linux-2.6.38/block/blk.h. So the only thing we need is add "#include .../block/blk.h" statement into "aoe6-76/linux/drivers/block/aoe/aoecmd.c". Serge On 05/26/2011 07:01 PM, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > Hey, > > I got most of the issues resolved, except aoe6: > > ---------- > /data/build/tmp/aoe6-76/linux/drivers/block/aoe/aoecmd.c: In function > 'aoe_end_request': > /data/build/tmp/aoe6-76/linux/drivers/block/aoe/aoecmd.c:1171: error: > implicit declaration of function '__generic_unplug_device' > make[2]: *** [/data/build/tmp/aoe6-76/linux/drivers/block/aoe/aoecmd.o] > Error 1 > make[1]: *** [_module_/data/build/tmp/aoe6-76/linux/drivers/block/aoe] Error > 2 > make[1]: Leaving directory `/data/build/tmp/linux-2.6.38' > ----------- > Any ideas anyone? > > The kernel I'm using is 2.6.38.7 > |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@re...> - 2011-05-27 03:18:13
|
I hear that kernel 2.8 may be out soon. :-) - BS On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 22:01, Heiko Zuerker <he...@zu...> wrote: > Hey, > > I got most of the issues resolved, except aoe6: > > ---------- > /data/build/tmp/aoe6-76/linux/drivers/block/aoe/aoecmd.c: In function > 'aoe_end_request': > /data/build/tmp/aoe6-76/linux/drivers/block/aoe/aoecmd.c:1171: error: > implicit declaration of function '__generic_unplug_device' > make[2]: *** [/data/build/tmp/aoe6-76/linux/drivers/block/aoe/aoecmd.o] > Error 1 > make[1]: *** [_module_/data/build/tmp/aoe6-76/linux/drivers/block/aoe] > Error > 2 > make[1]: Leaving directory `/data/build/tmp/linux-2.6.38' > ----------- > Any ideas anyone? > > The kernel I'm using is 2.6.38.7 > > -- > > Regards > Heiko Zuerker > http://www.devil-linux.org > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Serge Leschinsky [mailto:ser...@gm...] > > Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2011 8:40 PM > > To: dev...@li... > > Subject: Re: [Devil-linux-develop] kernel > > > > Heiko, > > > > I'm fine with it. > > > > I live on .38.6 now and it looks fine. The possible problems are: > > - imq patch > > - grsec & aufs incompatibility. > > > > Serge > > > > On 05/22/2011 02:56 PM, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > > > Hey, > > > > > > I'm contemplating if we should switch back to the latest and greatest > > > kernel again. This may have some impact on stability and of course > > > we'll sometimes have to wait for a patch to come out. > > > > > > The benefit would be having the latest and greatest drivers available. > > > > > > Thoughts? > > > > > |
|
From: Serge L. <ser...@gm...> - 2011-05-27 05:12:44
|
quick and dirty - hopefully it will be irrelevant for .39 --- aoe6-76/linux/drivers/block/aoe/aoecmd.c 2011-05-26 21:56:21.000000000 -0700 +++ aoe6-76/linux/drivers/block/aoe/aoecmd.c 2011-05-26 22:01:31.000000000 -0700 @@ -17,6 +17,8 @@ #include <asm/unaligned.h> #include <linux/uio.h> #include "aoe.h" +#include "../../../../../linux-2.6.38/block/blk.h" + static struct buf *nextbuf(struct aoedev *); static void ktcomplete(struct frame *, struct sk_buff *); ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- On 05/26/2011 07:01 PM, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > Hey, > > I got most of the issues resolved, except aoe6: > > ---------- > /data/build/tmp/aoe6-76/linux/drivers/block/aoe/aoecmd.c: In function > 'aoe_end_request': > /data/build/tmp/aoe6-76/linux/drivers/block/aoe/aoecmd.c:1171: error: > implicit declaration of function '__generic_unplug_device' > make[2]: *** [/data/build/tmp/aoe6-76/linux/drivers/block/aoe/aoecmd.o] > Error 1 > make[1]: *** [_module_/data/build/tmp/aoe6-76/linux/drivers/block/aoe] Error > 2 > make[1]: Leaving directory `/data/build/tmp/linux-2.6.38' > ----------- > Any ideas anyone? > > The kernel I'm using is 2.6.38.7 > |