Bruce Smith wrote:
>>That's the problem with Opensource, it doesn't pay the bills.
>
>
> A lot of people make money off open source. But that's a topic for a
> different thread ...
>
> It's no secret that I've never liked grsecurity because it caused
> problems on my DL servers, but I do feel bad when a project is stopped
> because of lack of money.
>
> In any case, I'll suggest (again) that we drop grsecurity from DL.
> If we really need something like that, maybe we should look around for
> something else. About a year ago, these guys http://www.linuxbox.com/
> (who make money from open source) came to my LUG and did a presentation
> on LIDS. Take a look: http://www.linuxbox.com/ABOUT/LIDS.pdf
> This looked like good stuff, and I was very impressed!
> http://www.lids.org/about.html
>
> I also got the impression from the presentation that LIDS was only
> active once it was started, so if you didn't want to use it, then you
> just don't start LIDS. Something I wish I could do with grsecurity on a
> server, so it wouldn't kill my mission critical processes.
We can work on the implementation on the 1.3 tree.
Even if grsecurity continues, there's no reason why we couldn't add LIDS
to DL.
Heiko
|