|
From: SourceForge.net <no...@so...> - 2003-10-21 18:53:32
|
Bugs item #827631, was opened at 2003-10-21 11:43 Message generated for change (Tracker Item Submitted) made by Item Submitter You can respond by visiting: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=410643&aid=827631&group_id=34096 Category: Base System Group: v1.1 Status: Open Resolution: None Priority: 5 Submitted By: Heiko Zuerker (smiley73) Assigned to: Nobody/Anonymous (nobody) Summary: LVM part in mountfs should be dynamic Initial Comment: Currently all the LVMs are hardcoded, changes this to dynamic. Carefull not to change the special ones like /home or /opt. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- You can respond by visiting: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=410643&aid=827631&group_id=34096 |
|
From: SourceForge.net <no...@so...> - 2003-10-21 21:11:04
|
Bugs item #827631, was opened at 2003-10-21 18:43 Message generated for change (Settings changed) made by friedl You can respond by visiting: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=410643&aid=827631&group_id=34096 Category: Base System Group: v1.1 Status: Open Resolution: None Priority: 5 Submitted By: Heiko Zuerker (smiley73) >Assigned to: Friedrich Lobenstock (friedl) Summary: LVM part in mountfs should be dynamic Initial Comment: Currently all the LVMs are hardcoded, changes this to dynamic. Carefull not to change the special ones like /home or /opt. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- You can respond by visiting: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=410643&aid=827631&group_id=34096 |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2003-10-22 00:01:38
|
Hej! SourceForge.net wrote on 21.10.2003 21:02 MET: > https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=410643&aid=827631&group_id=34096 > > Category: Base System > Group: v1.1 > Status: Open > Resolution: None > Priority: 5 > Submitted By: Heiko Zuerker (smiley73) > >>Assigned to: Friedrich Lobenstock (friedl) > > Summary: LVM part in mountfs should be dynamic > > Initial Comment: > Currently all the LVMs are hardcoded, changes this to dynamic. > Carefull not to change the special ones like /home or /opt. How about a file called /etc/lvtab in contrast to /etc/fstab where we specify the logical volumes name and their mountpoint. If a logical volumes name is not found there it's either not mounted at all or we could also default to mounting it at /var/lvname. /etc/lvmtab is already taken by the lvmtools, so I suggest /etc/lvtab Maybe any other better distinguishable names for this file? -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-10-22 08:43:02
|
Friedrich Lobenstock wrote: > Hej! > > SourceForge.net wrote on 21.10.2003 21:02 MET: > >> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=410643&aid=827631&group_id=34096 >> >> Category: Base System >> Group: v1.1 >> Status: Open >> Resolution: None >> Priority: 5 >> Submitted By: Heiko Zuerker (smiley73) >> >>> Assigned to: Friedrich Lobenstock (friedl) >> >> >> Summary: LVM part in mountfs should be dynamic >> >> Initial Comment: >> Currently all the LVMs are hardcoded, changes this to dynamic. >> Carefull not to change the special ones like /home or /opt. > > > How about a file called /etc/lvtab in contrast to /etc/fstab where > we specify the logical volumes name and their mountpoint. If a logical > volumes name is not found there it's either not mounted at all or > we could also default to mounting it at /var/lvname. > > /etc/lvmtab is already taken by the lvmtools, so I suggest /etc/lvtab > Maybe any other better distinguishable names for this file? > I would prefer the version where we automatically mount to /var/lvname cya Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-10-22 13:13:00
|
> > How about a file called /etc/lvtab in contrast to /etc/fstab where > > we specify the logical volumes name and their mountpoint. If a logical > > volumes name is not found there it's either not mounted at all or > > we could also default to mounting it at /var/lvname. > > > > /etc/lvmtab is already taken by the lvmtools, so I suggest /etc/lvtab > > Maybe any other better distinguishable names for this file? > > > I would prefer the version where we automatically mount to /var/lvname Maybe we could put the exceptions in /etc/lvtab and everything else defaults to mount at /var/<name> ? - BS |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2003-10-22 13:57:24
|
Bruce Smith wrote on 22.10.2003 14:16 MET: >>>How about a file called /etc/lvtab in contrast to /etc/fstab where >>>we specify the logical volumes name and their mountpoint. If a logical >>>volumes name is not found there it's either not mounted at all or >>>we could also default to mounting it at /var/lvname. >>> >>>/etc/lvmtab is already taken by the lvmtools, so I suggest /etc/lvtab >>>Maybe any other better distinguishable names for this file? >>> >> >>I would prefer the version where we automatically mount to /var/lvname > > > Maybe we could put the exceptions in /etc/lvtab and everything else > defaults to mount at /var/<name> ? Ok, that's about what I thought to do. Let's introduce a switch, eg. LVM_MOUNT_DEFAULT="/var" or ="" in /etc/sysconfig/config to switch between both behaviours. -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2003-10-22 15:51:37
|
Heiko Zuerker wrote on 22.10.2003 03:55 MET: > Friedrich Lobenstock wrote: > >> How about a file called /etc/lvtab in contrast to /etc/fstab where >> we specify the logical volumes name and their mountpoint. If a logical >> volumes name is not found there it's either not mounted at all or >> we could also default to mounting it at /var/lvname. >> >> /etc/lvmtab is already taken by the lvmtools, so I suggest /etc/lvtab >> Maybe any other better distinguishable names for this file? >> > > I would prefer the version where we automatically mount to /var/lvname But in which file should we hold the table to where to mount which lv? I'm not sure of /etc/lvtab because it could be misinterpreted as /etc/lvmtab by some users. -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-10-22 16:58:47
|
> Heiko Zuerker wrote on 22.10.2003 03:55 MET: >> Friedrich Lobenstock wrote: >> >>> How about a file called /etc/lvtab in contrast to /etc/fstab where >>> we specify the logical volumes name and their mountpoint. If a logical >>> volumes name is not found there it's either not mounted at all or >>> we could also default to mounting it at /var/lvname. >>> >>> /etc/lvmtab is already taken by the lvmtools, so I suggest /etc/lvtab >>> Maybe any other better distinguishable names for this file? >>> >> >> I would prefer the version where we automatically mount to /var/lvname > > But in which file should we hold the table to where to mount which lv? > I'm not sure of /etc/lvtab because it could be misinterpreted as > /etc/lvmtab by some users. I would say we don't give a choice to the user, it's always /var. 1) variable data has to be under /var 2) mount point must exist and we can only create them in /var, since the CD is read-only -- Regards Heiko Zuerker http://www.devil-linux.org |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-10-22 18:00:53
|
> But in which file should we hold the table to where to mount which lv? > I'm not sure of /etc/lvtab because it could be misinterpreted as > /etc/lvmtab by some users. /etc/deviltab or /etc/devillvtab ? - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-10-22 18:29:22
|
>> But in which file should we hold the table to where to mount which lv? >> I'm not sure of /etc/lvtab because it could be misinterpreted as >> /etc/lvmtab by some users. > > /etc/deviltab or /etc/devillvtab ? /etc/sysconfig/lvm(tab) -- Regards Heiko Zuerker http://www.devil-linux.org |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-10-22 18:35:16
|
> >> But in which file should we hold the table to where to mount which lv? > >> I'm not sure of /etc/lvtab because it could be misinterpreted as > >> /etc/lvmtab by some users. > > > > /etc/deviltab or /etc/devillvtab ? > > /etc/sysconfig/lvm(tab) You want parenthesis in the filename? Yuck!!! - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-10-22 19:43:02
|
>> >> But in which file should we hold the table to where to mount which >> lv? >> >> I'm not sure of /etc/lvtab because it could be misinterpreted as >> >> /etc/lvmtab by some users. >> > >> > /etc/deviltab or /etc/devillvtab ? >> >> /etc/sysconfig/lvm(tab) > > You want parenthesis in the filename? Yuck!!! Actually I prefer the @ /etc/sysconfig/lvm@bs@smartass@ /etc/sysconfig/lvm or /etc/sysconfig/lvmtab was my suggestion ;-) -- Regards Heiko Zuerker http://www.devil-linux.org |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2003-10-22 22:28:19
|
Heiko Zuerker wrote on 22.10.2003 20:42 MET: >>>>> But in which file should we hold the table to where to mount which >>>>> lv? I'm not sure of /etc/lvtab because it could be misinterpreted >>>>> as /etc/lvmtab by some users. >>>> >>>> /etc/deviltab or /etc/devillvtab ? >>> >>> /etc/sysconfig/lvm(tab) >> >> You want parenthesis in the filename? Yuck!!! > > > Actually I prefer the @ > /etc/sysconfig/lvm@bs@smartass@ > > /etc/sysconfig/lvm > or > /etc/sysconfig/lvmtab > > was my suggestion ;-) > Just took a look at the LSB sample implementation and I think that /etc/sysconfig/ is not the right place for this file. As it is more similar to /etc/fstab I think we really should place it in /etc. So rather stay with /etc/lvtab and see if people confuse it or not. -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-10-22 14:59:34
|
> >>>How about a file called /etc/lvtab in contrast to /etc/fstab where > >>>we specify the logical volumes name and their mountpoint. If a logical > >>>volumes name is not found there it's either not mounted at all or > >>>we could also default to mounting it at /var/lvname. > >>> > >>>/etc/lvmtab is already taken by the lvmtools, so I suggest /etc/lvtab > >>>Maybe any other better distinguishable names for this file? > >> > >>I would prefer the version where we automatically mount to /var/lvname > > > > Maybe we could put the exceptions in /etc/lvtab and everything else > > defaults to mount at /var/<name> ? > > Ok, that's about what I thought to do. Let's introduce a switch, > eg. LVM_MOUNT_DEFAULT="/var" or ="" in /etc/sysconfig/config to switch > between both behaviours. I'm not following you. Why do we need a switch? I would simply supply a default /etc/lvtab file with the following: #lvname:directory swap:swap home:/home opt:/opt Anything not found in the /etc/lvtab gets mounted in /var/<name> People are free to add their own entries, or make changes in lvtab. That way it's backward compatible, plus being easily customizable. - BS |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2003-10-22 15:19:21
|
Bruce Smith wrote on 22.10.2003 16:19 MET: >>Ok, that's about what I thought to do. Let's introduce a switch, >>eg. LVM_MOUNT_DEFAULT="/var" or ="" in /etc/sysconfig/config to switch >>between both behaviours. > > > I'm not following you. Why do we need a switch? An extra feature ;-) > I would simply supply a default /etc/lvtab file with the following: > > > #lvname:directory > swap:swap > home:/home > opt:/opt > > > Anything not found in the /etc/lvtab gets mounted in /var/<name> > People are free to add their own entries, or make changes in lvtab. > > That way it's backward compatible, plus being easily customizable. If we add the varibale LVM_MOUNT_DEFAULT where we specify the default mount point the user can decide which is the default mount point. Now he can even decide to have lv's not mentioned in /etc/lvtab to be not mounted at all by setting LVM_MOUNT_DEFAULT to "". Eg. I would do the last one as I really would want to control everything. About the format of /etc/lvtab. I would keep it the same as /etc/fstab with the only difference being that we do not specify the device but just the lv's name. Maybe the user is allowed to omit the columns after the mount point and the script uses some default values, eg. swap swap home /home opt /opt or swap swap home /home auto user,noauto,uid=500 0 0 opt /opt -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-10-22 15:21:49
|
>> >>>How about a file called /etc/lvtab in contrast to /etc/fstab where >> >>>we specify the logical volumes name and their mountpoint. If a >> logical >> >>>volumes name is not found there it's either not mounted at all or >> >>>we could also default to mounting it at /var/lvname. >> >>> >> >>>/etc/lvmtab is already taken by the lvmtools, so I suggest /etc/lvtab >> >>>Maybe any other better distinguishable names for this file? >> >> >> >>I would prefer the version where we automatically mount to /var/lvname >> > >> > Maybe we could put the exceptions in /etc/lvtab and everything else >> > defaults to mount at /var/<name> ? >> >> Ok, that's about what I thought to do. Let's introduce a switch, >> eg. LVM_MOUNT_DEFAULT="/var" or ="" in /etc/sysconfig/config to switch >> between both behaviours. > > I'm not following you. Why do we need a switch? > > I would simply supply a default /etc/lvtab file with the following: > > > #lvname:directory > swap:swap > home:/home > opt:/opt > > > Anything not found in the /etc/lvtab gets mounted in /var/<name> > People are free to add their own entries, or make changes in lvtab. > > That way it's backward compatible, plus being easily customizable. I agree with that. -- Regards Heiko Zuerker http://www.devil-linux.org |
|
From: SourceForge.net <no...@so...> - 2003-12-23 21:14:03
|
Bugs item #827631, was opened at 2003-10-21 12:43 Message generated for change (Settings changed) made by blubdog You can respond by visiting: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=410643&aid=827631&group_id=34096 Category: Base System Group: v1.1 Status: Open Resolution: None Priority: 5 Submitted By: Heiko Zuerker (smiley73) >Assigned to: Bruce Smith (blubdog) Summary: LVM part in mountfs should be dynamic Initial Comment: Currently all the LVMs are hardcoded, changes this to dynamic. Carefull not to change the special ones like /home or /opt. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- You can respond by visiting: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=410643&aid=827631&group_id=34096 |
|
From: SourceForge.net <no...@so...> - 2003-12-27 00:00:02
|
Bugs item #827631, was opened at 2003-10-21 12:43 Message generated for change (Settings changed) made by blubdog You can respond by visiting: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=410643&aid=827631&group_id=34096 Category: Base System Group: v1.1 >Status: Closed Resolution: None Priority: 5 Submitted By: Heiko Zuerker (smiley73) Assigned to: Bruce Smith (blubdog) Summary: LVM part in mountfs should be dynamic Initial Comment: Currently all the LVMs are hardcoded, changes this to dynamic. Carefull not to change the special ones like /home or /opt. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- You can respond by visiting: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=410643&aid=827631&group_id=34096 |