|
From: Dean N. <di...@ti...> - 2003-08-10 00:38:30
|
[Using the 08-08-i686-SMP release] Tried the latest release, and got some of the latest errors! :-) o At "Running ldconfig", I got the following errors: ldconfig: Can't link /lib/libstdc++.so.2.8 to libstdc++.so.2.8.0 ldconfig: Can't link /lib/libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2 to libstdc++-2-libc6.1-1-2.9.0.so ldconfig: Can't link /lib/libg++.so.2.7.2 to libg++.so.2.7.2.8 o At "Starting WLAN", I got a -lot- of errors. Now then, I don't -have- WLAN configured. However, it is not an option in config - according to /etc/init.d/network it will always run the wlan startup (and there is nothing in /etc/init.d/wlan to search the config file either!). o Intermixed with the WLAN errors (maybe related, maybe not), I got: dot11PrivacyOptionImplemented mibget failed o I also received the following error for Postfix: tar (child): cdrom/packages/POSTFIX.tar.bz2: Cannot open: No such file or directory o At "Starting LVM", I get some errors complaining that LVM is not setup on this box. That is correct. However, why is it trying to start LVM at all? Now, to some questions: o Why are we still running "Updating module dependencies"? Since -everything- is now installed, don't we -know- the module dependencies? o Why are we running ldconfig? (Similar line of thought) o (This actually applies to previous releases as well.) I had the situation because of DHCP where I DIDN'T want Postfix to start at startup, but rather through one of my routines (which would then call /etc/init.d/postfix). If I set START_POSTFIX to no, then not only doesn't it start at startup, it can't be started at all! (/etc/init.d/postfix checks for this value.) How do I set this up (without changing /etc/init.d/postfix)? Dean Nedelman TimeLord Consulting |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-08-10 23:50:27
|
Hey, thanks for the testing ! Dean Nedelman wrote: >[Using the 08-08-i686-SMP release] > >Tried the latest release, and got some of the latest errors! :-) > >o At "Running ldconfig", I got the following errors: > >ldconfig: Can't link /lib/libstdc++.so.2.8 to libstdc++.so.2.8.0 >ldconfig: Can't link /lib/libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2 to >libstdc++-2-libc6.1-1-2.9.0.so >ldconfig: Can't link /lib/libg++.so.2.7.2 to libg++.so.2.7.2.8 > That's already on my todo list. >o At "Starting WLAN", I got a -lot- of errors. Now then, I don't -have- >WLAN configured. However, it is not an option in config - according to >/etc/init.d/network it will always run the wlan startup (and there is >nothing in /etc/init.d/wlan to search the config file either!). > That's already on my todo list. >o Intermixed with the WLAN errors (maybe related, maybe not), I got: >dot11PrivacyOptionImplemented mibget failed > Must be related to the one above. >o I also received the following error for Postfix: >tar (child): cdrom/packages/POSTFIX.tar.bz2: Cannot open: No such file or >directory > SHIT ! This is the jail script which tries to install the postfix binaries. >o At "Starting LVM", I get some errors complaining that LVM is not setup on >this box. That is correct. However, why is it trying to start LVM at all? > The package is "installed", thats the reason why it's being started. You can safely ignore this. >Now, to some questions: > >o Why are we still running "Updating module dependencies"? > Since -everything- is now installed, don't we -know- the module >dependencies? > >o Why are we running ldconfig? (Similar line of thought) > That is a very good question ! Does anbody has a reason not to remove it? >o (This actually applies to previous releases as well.) I had the situation >because of DHCP where I DIDN'T want Postfix to start at startup, but rather >through one of my routines (which would then call /etc/init.d/postfix). If >I set START_POSTFIX to no, then not only doesn't it start at startup, it >can't be started at all! (/etc/init.d/postfix checks for this value.) How >do I set this up (without changing /etc/init.d/postfix)? > > Actually you have to change the init script. I have it on my list to modify all init scripts, so this will work without any problems. I don't know how many changes I can make to the system, before I go on vacation. It would be good if others could take a look at it, too. cya Heiko |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-08-11 00:15:27
Attachments:
postfix
|
Heiko Zuerker wrote: >> o (This actually applies to previous releases as well.) I had the >> situation >> because of DHCP where I DIDN'T want Postfix to start at startup, but >> rather >> through one of my routines (which would then call >> /etc/init.d/postfix). If >> I set START_POSTFIX to no, then not only doesn't it start at startup, it >> can't be started at all! (/etc/init.d/postfix checks for this value.) >> How >> do I set this up (without changing /etc/init.d/postfix)? >> >> > Actually you have to change the init script. > I have it on my list to modify all init scripts, so this will work > without any problems. I attached the modified init script for postfix, this one should work fine for you. P.S. I'm currently watching Starwars (the real part 1) on TV, it looks so..., so old.... cya Heiko |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-08-11 00:25:27
|
Heiko Zuerker wrote: > Heiko Zuerker wrote: > >>> o (This actually applies to previous releases as well.) I had the >>> situation >>> because of DHCP where I DIDN'T want Postfix to start at startup, but >>> rather >>> through one of my routines (which would then call >>> /etc/init.d/postfix). If >>> I set START_POSTFIX to no, then not only doesn't it start at startup, it >>> can't be started at all! (/etc/init.d/postfix checks for this >>> value.) How >>> do I set this up (without changing /etc/init.d/postfix)? >>> >>> >> Actually you have to change the init script. >> I have it on my list to modify all init scripts, so this will work >> without any problems. > > > I attached the modified init script for postfix, this one should work > fine for you. What I forgott to mention, the chroot jail won't work currently. cya Heiko |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-08-12 19:18:06
|
Heiko Zuerker wrote: > Heiko Zuerker wrote: > >> Heiko Zuerker wrote: >> >>>> o (This actually applies to previous releases as well.) I had the >>>> situation >>>> because of DHCP where I DIDN'T want Postfix to start at startup, but >>>> rather >>>> through one of my routines (which would then call >>>> /etc/init.d/postfix). If >>>> I set START_POSTFIX to no, then not only doesn't it start at >>>> startup, it >>>> can't be started at all! (/etc/init.d/postfix checks for this >>>> value.) How >>>> do I set this up (without changing /etc/init.d/postfix)? >>>> >>>> >>> Actually you have to change the init script. >>> I have it on my list to modify all init scripts, so this will work >>> without any problems. >> >> >> >> I attached the modified init script for postfix, this one should work >> fine for you. > > > What I forgott to mention, the chroot jail won't work currently. I was investigating a bit, the chroot jail for postfix should be functional in the current setup. The Bind chroot shouldn't be functional. Heiko |
|
From: Dean N. <di...@ti...> - 2003-08-12 20:38:04
|
Heiko Zuerker wrote: > Heiko Zuerker wrote: > >> Heiko Zuerker wrote: >> >>>>> o (This actually applies to previous releases as well.) I had the >>>>> situation >>>>> because of DHCP where I DIDN'T want Postfix to start at startup, but >>>>> rather >>>>> through one of my routines (which would then call >>>>> /etc/init.d/postfix). If >>>>> I set START_POSTFIX to no, then not only doesn't it start at >>>>> startup, it >>>>> can't be started at all! (/etc/init.d/postfix checks for this >>>>> value.) How >>>>> do I set this up (without changing /etc/init.d/postfix)? >>>>> >>>>> >>>> Actually you have to change the init script. >>>> I have it on my list to modify all init scripts, so this will work >>>> without any problems. >>> >>> >>> >>> I attached the modified init script for postfix, this one should work >>> fine for you. >> >> >> What I forgott to mention, the chroot jail won't work currently. > >I was investigating a bit, the chroot jail for postfix should be >functional in the current setup. > >The Bind chroot shouldn't be functional. I have to admit, I was a little confused by the mention that chroot jail won't work for postfix, simply because I had it running that way. It is nice to know that I wasn't too crazy.... Thanks. Dean Nedelman TimeLord Consulting |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-08-12 21:38:37
|
Dean Nedelman wrote: > Heiko Zuerker wrote: > >>Heiko Zuerker wrote: >> >> >>>Heiko Zuerker wrote: >>> >>> >>>>>>o (This actually applies to previous releases as well.) I had the >>>>>>situation >>>>>>because of DHCP where I DIDN'T want Postfix to start at startup, but >>>>>>rather >>>>>>through one of my routines (which would then call >>>>>>/etc/init.d/postfix). If >>>>>>I set START_POSTFIX to no, then not only doesn't it start at >>>>>>startup, it >>>>>>can't be started at all! (/etc/init.d/postfix checks for this >>>>>>value.) How >>>>>>do I set this up (without changing /etc/init.d/postfix)? >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>> >>>>>Actually you have to change the init script. >>>>>I have it on my list to modify all init scripts, so this will work >>>>>without any problems. >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>>I attached the modified init script for postfix, this one should work >>>>fine for you. >>> >>> >>>What I forgott to mention, the chroot jail won't work currently. >> >>I was investigating a bit, the chroot jail for postfix should be >>functional in the current setup. >> >>The Bind chroot shouldn't be functional. > > > I have to admit, I was a little confused by the mention that chroot jail > won't work for postfix, simply because I had it running that way. > > It is nice to know that I wasn't too crazy.... Let's say it "should" not run, but Postfix seems to have a pretty nice concept behind the scenes. Heiko |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-08-12 14:26:30
|
Heiko Zuerker wrote: >> o At "Starting WLAN", I got a -lot- of errors. Now then, I don't -have- >> WLAN configured. However, it is not an option in config - according to >> /etc/init.d/network it will always run the wlan startup (and there is >> nothing in /etc/init.d/wlan to search the config file either!). >> > That's already on my todo list. > Fixed (FTP & CVS). Heiko |