|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-08-04 22:20:31
|
On 08/04/2003 05:02:37 PM Manu wrote: >Heiko Zuerker a =E9crit: > >Hey guys, > >I successfully intregrated the GCC stack smashing protector into DL ! >For more information about this >piece:http://www.research.ibm.com/trl/projects/security/ssp > > >Hi =A0You Master ;-) I just grew 2 more centimeters. ;-) >Great feature it is; now, if I understand well, one have to enable >fstack-protector in each compile script and see if it works well ?? Not really. It's enabled by default and you have to disable it for each= application which doesn't work anymore. ;-) I had to do this for the kernel (build/scripts/linux) and some other modules, but there can still be some apps out there which have problems= once you try to run them. Heiko = |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-08-07 20:05:57
|
Hey, On 08/04/2003 10:41:36 AM "Heiko Zuerker" wrote: >I successfully intregrated the GCC stack smashing protector into DL ! >For more information about this piece: >http://www.research.ibm.com/trl/projects/security/ssp I just checked in a few more updates into CVS and uploaded updates to t= he FTP Server. Those changes should hopefully fix the last issues with the "GCC SSP". You will have to do a "make mrproper" or you just wait until my tests a= re finished. cya Heiko = |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-08-08 12:47:30
|
On 08/07/2003 03:58:59 PM "Heiko Zuerker" wrote: >Hey, > >On 08/04/2003 10:41:36 AM "Heiko Zuerker" wrote: >>I successfully intregrated the GCC stack smashing protector into DL != >>For more information about this piece: >>http://www.research.ibm.com/trl/projects/security/ssp > >I just checked in a few more updates into CVS and uploaded updates to >the >FTP Server. >Those changes should hopefully fix the last issues with the "GCC SSP".= >You will have to do a "make mrproper" or you just wait until my tests >are >finished. It looks good. So far I didn't get any more error messages. cya Heiko = |
|
From: Dean N. <di...@ti...> - 2003-08-04 22:37:34
|
>>On 08/04/2003 05:02:37 PM Manu wrote: >>>Heiko Zuerker a =E9crit: >>> >>>Hey guys, >>> >>>I successfully intregrated the GCC stack smashing protector into DL ! >>>For more information about this >>piece:http://www.research.ibm.com/trl/projects/security/ssp >>> >> >>Great feature it is; now, if I understand well, one have to enable >>fstack-protector in each compile script and see if it works well ?? > >Not really. It's enabled by default and you have to disable it for each >application which doesn't work anymore. ;-) >I had to do this for the kernel (build/scripts/linux) and some other >modules, but there can still be some apps out there which have problems >once you try to run them. > >Heiko ...i think i better stock up on CD's, because I sense that this is going = to take a few builds... :-) Seriously, I thought that the PAX part of GRSecurity did this. Do we now have TWO stack smashing protectors, or was the PAX one disabled? Dean Nedelman TimeLord Consulting |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-08-04 23:30:23
|
Dean Nedelman wrote: >>>On 08/04/2003 05:02:37 PM Manu wrote: >>> >>>>Heiko Zuerker a écrit: >>>> >>>>Hey guys, >>>> >>>>I successfully intregrated the GCC stack smashing protector into DL ! >>>>For more information about this >>> >>>piece:http://www.research.ibm.com/trl/projects/security/ssp >>> >>>Great feature it is; now, if I understand well, one have to enable >>>fstack-protector in each compile script and see if it works well ?? >> >>Not really. It's enabled by default and you have to disable it for each >>application which doesn't work anymore. ;-) >>I had to do this for the kernel (build/scripts/linux) and some other >>modules, but there can still be some apps out there which have problems >>once you try to run them. >> >>Heiko > > > ...i think i better stock up on CD's, because I sense that this is going to > take a few builds... :-) > > Seriously, I thought that the PAX part of GRSecurity did this. Do we now > have TWO stack smashing protectors, or was the PAX one disabled? We didn't use the PAX patch for GCC. I didn't like it when I took a look at it, but can't remember what I didn't like. So far it looks good, the CD bootet without any problems on my test server. Heiko |
|
From: Manu <ee...@fr...> - 2003-08-05 00:11:20
|
Heiko Zuerker a écrit: > Dean Nedelman wrote: > >>>> On 08/04/2003 05:02:37 PM Manu wrote: >>>> >>>>> Heiko Zuerker a écrit: >>>>> >>>>> Hey guys, >>>>> >>>>> I successfully intregrated the GCC stack smashing protector into DL ! >>>>> For more information about this >>>> >>>> >>>> piece:http://www.research.ibm.com/trl/projects/security/ssp >>>> >>>> Great feature it is; now, if I understand well, one have to enable >>>> fstack-protector in each compile script and see if it works well ?? >>> >>> >>> Not really. It's enabled by default and you have to disable it for each >>> application which doesn't work anymore. ;-) >>> I had to do this for the kernel (build/scripts/linux) and some other >>> modules, but there can still be some apps out there which have problems >>> once you try to run them. >>> >>> Heiko >> >> >> >> ...i think i better stock up on CD's, because I sense that this is >> going to >> take a few builds... :-) >> >> Seriously, I thought that the PAX part of GRSecurity did this. Do we now >> have TWO stack smashing protectors, or was the PAX one disabled? > > > We didn't use the PAX patch for GCC. I didn't like it when I took a > look at it, but can't remember what I didn't like. > > So far it looks good, the CD bootet without any problems on my test > server. I've read some docs and in the limitations, found somthing that maybe we could easily check : ... * When you specify the option -O3, the protection instruments may be eliminated by the optimizer. in their comparisson charts, they didn't speak of the PAX patch from grsec ...;-) Manu > > Heiko > > > > ------------------------------------------------------- > This SF.Net email sponsored by: Free pre-built ASP.NET sites including > Data Reports, E-commerce, Portals, and Forums are available now. > Download today and enter to win an XBOX or Visual Studio .NET. > http://aspnet.click-url.com/go/psa00100003ave/direct;at.aspnet_072303_01/01 > > _______________________________________________ > Devil-linux-develop mailing list > Dev...@li... > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/devil-linux-develop > > |