|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-08-27 12:29:27
|
On 08/27/2003 03:25:14 AM "Dean Nedelman" wrote: >Heiko Zuerker wrote: >>Dean Nedelman wrote: >>> [Using the 08-23-i586-SMP release...] >>> NOTE: I am using ext2 on my floppy, and had no errors previously fo= r >the >>> betas. In fact, I had switched to ext from FAT so as to no longer >get the >>> error about being unable to find an ext2 file system on the floppy!= >(It >used >>> to look for ext2 first). >> >>That bug is still open: >>https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=3Ddetail&aid=3D759801&= group_ >id=3D3 >4096&atid=3D410643 >>I agree that it is pretty anoying, I don't have a solution yet. > >Not really. Bug 759801 was when I had a FAT volume and it looked for >EXT2 >then FAT (and generated an error). To work around that bug, I had >switched >my floppy from FAT to EXT2. Now, by using EXT2, I'm back to getting a= >lot >of errors. (Hmmm, I wonder if I switch back to FAT whether they would= >go >away? :-) ). It's the same root-problem. >Out of curiosity, doesn't mount -auto "resolve" this problem (though I= >haven't actually tried it myself)? It is supposed to automatically >determine the correct type. It should, but we still got some message. Bruce was running into problems with the "-t auto", I don't know what caused it. @Bruce: can you try the "-t auto" again ? >>> --- Problem 2 ---- >>> still getting a grsec error: >>> grsec: attempted resource overstep by requesting 92786688 for >RLIMIT_STACK >>> against limit 8388608 by (pidof:385) UID(0) EUID(0), parent >(S05network:373) >>> UID(0) EUID(0) >>> >>> I -believe- this is related to my dhcpcd.exe script - which uses >pidof. >> >>That is really strange. >>Can you try it with a "clean" setup? I mean empty floppy and >configuring >>the stuff via the setup program. >>How much RAM do you have in this machine? > >I have 64MB of ram. Then this can't be the root of the problem. >I'll spend some time tomorrow afternoon with an empty floppy and see >what >happens. I'm presuming that you want me to do a "basic" setup using t= he >setup machine (network adaptor type, timezone, Bruce's firewall, setup= >as >DHCP client, etc.)? (i.e., DON'T setup postfix, DON'T setup my >firewall, >DON'T use my dhcpcd.exe file, etc.) Yes. Just configure it step by step so that we can find out when and wh= ere it happens. Otherwise it's hard to fix this problem. >>> --- Comment --- >>> o I See that we have (again) moved a key binary - echo (from >/bin/echo to >>> /usr/bin/echo). And before we get into another discussion about wh= y >I >have >>> hardcoded addresses for key executables in my firewall scripts: I >suppose >it >>> is for the same reason that Bruce uses them in -his- firewall >scripts! >> >>That's the new coreutils package, >>I modified the package so that everything is installed in /bin. It's >the >>"core" anyway. >>I will look more into problems which could come up with the new >package. > >I would be happy if we simply document when things move. That's unfortunately not always possible. The coreutils package for example, replaced 3 other packages. There are so many files included, you just don't see anymore what's goi= ng on. cya Heiko = |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-08-27 12:50:59
|
> >Out of curiosity, doesn't mount -auto "resolve" this problem (though I > >haven't actually tried it myself)? It is supposed to automatically > >determine the correct type. > > It should, but we still got some message. > Bruce was running into problems with the "-t auto", I don't know what > caused it. > @Bruce: can you try the "-t auto" again ? Yes, I'll take a look again. It is really strange. It worked in the first script, but failed in the second script. > >>> o I See that we have (again) moved a key binary - echo (from > >>> /bin/echo to /usr/bin/echo). > > That's unfortunately not always possible. The coreutils package for > example, replaced 3 other packages. > There are so many files included, you just don't see anymore what's going > on. If you really want to use the full path for echo in scripts, try this code which should work no matter what bin directory contains echo: ------------------------------------- ECHO=$(whereis -b echo|cut -d' ' -f2) # ... $ECHO message to display $ECHO another message # ------------------------------------- # OR # ------------------------------------- if [ -x /bin/echo ]; then ECHO=/bin/echo elif [ -x /usr/bin/echo ]; then ECHO=/usr/bin/echo else echo cannot find echo exit 1 fi # ... $ECHO message to display $ECHO another message # ------------------------------------- # OR # ------------------------------------- for e in $(echo $PATH | sed 's/:/ /g') do if [ -x "$e/echo" ]; then ECHO="$e/echo" break fi done # ... $ECHO message to display $ECHO another message # ------------------------------------- - BS |
|
From: Dean N. <di...@ti...> - 2003-08-27 23:32:17
|
>On 08/27/2003 03:25:14 AM "Dean Nedelman" wrote: >>Heiko Zuerker wrote: >>>Dean Nedelman wrote: >>>> still getting a grsec error: >>>> grsec: attempted resource overstep by requesting 92786688 for >RLIMIT_STACK >>>> against limit 8388608 by (pidof:385) UID(0) EUID(0), parent >(S05network:373) >>>> UID(0) EUID(0) >>>> >>>> I -believe- this is related to my dhcpcd.exe script - which uses >pidof. >>> >>>That is really strange. >>>Can you try it with a "clean" setup? I mean empty floppy and >configuring >>>the stuff via the setup program. >>>How much RAM do you have in this machine? >> >>I have 64MB of ram. > >Then this can't be the root of the problem. Ok, same problem. I get that grsec message when the default dhcpcd.exe is executed. I started with a clean setup, ran setup and set the following items: o Hostname o Domain name o Timezone o ETH0 module o ETH0 gets its IP address dynamically o ETH1 module o ETH1's static IP address o Use Bruce's 2NIC firewall Rebooted, got the error. Couple of observations (for what its worth): - Firewall.rules.2nic has a bug: it has a hard coded reference to /bin/echo - the "Setting up ROLF/F" message that I get on the console, showed up instead on the SYSLOG output (F10) when I used the above mentioned setup. - The setup program didn't set the interface modules correctly, but that may have been "operator error" (it is possible I may have scrolled down but not hit "OK" or something like that). Dean |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-08-28 01:05:32
|
Dean Nedelman wrote: >>On 08/27/2003 03:25:14 AM "Dean Nedelman" wrote: >> >>>Heiko Zuerker wrote: >>> >>>>Dean Nedelman wrote: >>>> >>>>>still getting a grsec error: >>>>>grsec: attempted resource overstep by requesting 92786688 for >> >>RLIMIT_STACK >> >>>>>against limit 8388608 by (pidof:385) UID(0) EUID(0), parent >> >>(S05network:373) >> >>>>>UID(0) EUID(0) >>>>> >>>>>I -believe- this is related to my dhcpcd.exe script - which uses >> >>pidof. >> >>>>That is really strange. >>>>Can you try it with a "clean" setup? I mean empty floppy and >> >>configuring >> >>>>the stuff via the setup program. >>>>How much RAM do you have in this machine? >>> >>>I have 64MB of ram. >> >>Then this can't be the root of the problem. > > > Ok, same problem. I get that grsec message when the default dhcpcd.exe is > executed. > > I started with a clean setup, ran setup and set the following items: > o Hostname > o Domain name > o Timezone > o ETH0 module > o ETH0 gets its IP address dynamically > o ETH1 module > o ETH1's static IP address > o Use Bruce's 2NIC firewall > > Rebooted, got the error. I did the same and can't reproduce your error, sorry. Does anybody else experiences a problem like this? > Couple of observations (for what its worth): > > - Firewall.rules.2nic has a bug: it has a hard coded reference to /bin/echo > - the "Setting up ROLF/F" message that I get on the console, showed up > instead on the SYSLOG output (F10) when I used the above mentioned setup. The ROL/F patch is removed and won't cause any further problems. > - The setup program didn't set the interface modules correctly, but that > may have been "operator error" (it is possible I may have scrolled down but > not hit "OK" or something like that). Work fine for me, so it looks like an operator error. cya Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-08-28 02:31:45
|
> - Firewall.rules.2nic has a bug: it has a hard coded reference to /bin/echo I noticed that yesterday, and fixed it earlier today in CVS. > - the "Setting up ROLF/F" message that I get on the console, showed up > instead on the SYSLOG output (F10) when I used the above mentioned setup. > - The setup program didn't set the interface modules correctly, but that > may have been "operator error" (it is possible I may have scrolled down but > not hit "OK" or something like that). I can't duplicate it either. If you find a way to duplicate it consistently, please let me know. My guess is operator error. You have to be careful with a selection screen like that. You cannot just move the cursor to the module and press ENTER. You have to move the cursor, press SPACE to select the module, and then press ENTER. I've made that mistake before myself. Plus you want to double check it changed when you return to the parent screen. Current selections are displayed in [brackets]. - BS |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-08-29 18:02:41
|
> >Out of curiosity, doesn't mount -auto "resolve" this problem (though I > >haven't actually tried it myself)? It is supposed to automatically > >determine the correct type. > > It should, but we still got some message. > Bruce was running into problems with the "-t auto", I don't know what > caused it. > @Bruce: can you try the "-t auto" again ? I looked, but it appears you beat me to it. - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-09-02 00:40:21
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>>Out of curiosity, doesn't mount -auto "resolve" this problem (though I >>>haven't actually tried it myself)? It is supposed to automatically >>>determine the correct type. >> >>It should, but we still got some message. >>Bruce was running into problems with the "-t auto", I don't know what >>caused it. >>@Bruce: can you try the "-t auto" again ? > > > I looked, but it appears you beat me to it. What does that sentence mean? (Don't understand it) Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-09-02 01:04:14
|
> >>>Out of curiosity, doesn't mount -auto "resolve" this problem (though I > >>>haven't actually tried it myself)? It is supposed to automatically > >>>determine the correct type. > >> > >>It should, but we still got some message. > >>Bruce was running into problems with the "-t auto", I don't know what > >>caused it. > >>@Bruce: can you try the "-t auto" again ? > > > > I looked, but it appears you beat me to it. > > What does that sentence mean? (Don't understand it) [way back when] I replaced the "-t auto" with a for i in ext2 ext3 vfat ... ; mount -t $i You ask me to try "-t auto" again. I looked. My "for" loop was gone, so you already fixed it? - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-09-02 01:20:33
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>>>>Out of curiosity, doesn't mount -auto "resolve" this problem (though I >>>>>haven't actually tried it myself)? It is supposed to automatically >>>>>determine the correct type. >>>> >>>>It should, but we still got some message. >>>>Bruce was running into problems with the "-t auto", I don't know what >>>>caused it. >>>>@Bruce: can you try the "-t auto" again ? >>> >>>I looked, but it appears you beat me to it. >> >>What does that sentence mean? (Don't understand it) > > > [way back when] I replaced the "-t auto" with a > for i in ext2 ext3 vfat ... ; mount -t $i > > You ask me to try "-t auto" again. I looked. > My "for" loop was gone, so you already fixed it? > Hmmmmm.... I guess that was more by accident, I wasn't aware that I removed it. I guess the current solution works for you, correct? cya Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-09-02 01:26:00
|
> > [way back when] I replaced the "-t auto" with a > > for i in ext2 ext3 vfat ... ; mount -t $i > > > > You ask me to try "-t auto" again. I looked. > > My "for" loop was gone, so you already fixed it? > > Hmmmmm.... I guess that was more by accident, I wasn't aware that I > removed it. I think it's when you moved the mount back to linuxrc from pre_init. (it worked for me before in linuxrc. I had the problem in pre_init) > I guess the current solution works for you, correct? It's working fine for me now. - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-09-02 13:00:43
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>>[way back when] I replaced the "-t auto" with a >>>for i in ext2 ext3 vfat ... ; mount -t $i >>> >>>You ask me to try "-t auto" again. I looked. >>>My "for" loop was gone, so you already fixed it? >> >>Hmmmmm.... I guess that was more by accident, I wasn't aware that I >>removed it. > > > I think it's when you moved the mount back to linuxrc from pre_init. > (it worked for me before in linuxrc. I had the problem in pre_init) > > >>I guess the current solution works for you, correct? > > > It's working fine for me now. Good, then we leave it as it is. Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-09-02 13:12:43
|
> >>I guess the current solution works for you, correct? > > > > It's working fine for me now. > > Good, then we leave it as it is. You mean: "if it's not broken, don't fix it"? Good thinking! ;-) - BS |