|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-06-18 15:09:32
|
On 06/18/2003 09:47:29 AM Bruce Smith wrote: >I just booted my new DL ISO in VMware, compiled yesterday with the new= >kernel. During bootup, after the message: > >"Searching for Devil-Linux CDROM" > >I get a page full of "hda: lost interrupt" messages, intermixed with >a few "hda: DMA interrupt recover" messages. > >It's still trying to boot... I booted it yesterday within VMWare and had no problems, I'm still usin= g Vmware 3.1 I'll upload a new testing release and test it on a real computer later today. cya Heiko = |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-06-18 17:37:08
|
On 06/18/2003 11:21:28 AM Bruce Smith wrote: >What's the quickest way to recompile the kernel (short of mrproper) >and make a new ISO? I want to try some different configuration options= . Do a "make menuconfig" in the kernel folder and then a "./scripts/build= .sh build opt=3Dlinux" followed by a "make clean install iso dist" . There's most likely a faster way, but I would have to check all the scripts.... Heiko = |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-06-18 17:38:32
|
On 06/18/2003 01:19:46 PM Bruce Smith wrote: >> >I just booted my new DL ISO in VMware, compiled yesterday with the >new >> >kernel. During bootup, after the message: >> > >> >"Searching for Devil-Linux CDROM" >> > >> >I get a page full of "hda: lost interrupt" messages, intermixed wit= h >> >a few "hda: DMA interrupt recover" messages. >> > >> >It's still trying to boot... >> >> I booted it yesterday within VMWare and had no problems, I'm still >using >> Vmware 3.1 >> I'll upload a new testing release and test it on a real computer lat= er >> today. > >I burned my ISO to a real CDRW, and it booted fine on a real PC. > >I've been doing a lot of google'ing around, and there is a LOT of talk= >of this problem, which appears to only effect certain IDE controllers.= > >The "work-around" seems to be to turn off the kernel option: >CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC "IO-APIC support on uniprocessors" > >So I ran "make menuconfig" in tmp/linux-2.4.21, turned it off, then: >cd ../../scripts/ >./build.sh build opt=3Dlinux >./build.sh install opt=3Dlinux >cd .. >rm tmp/.done_iso_100_build-iso >make iso > >and now VMware-4 boots fine from my ISO image. :-) > >CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC appears in the files: >scripts/config/config_linux.up (and .smp) > >Should someone upload a "fix"? Is there a patch available? When yes, add it to the file kernel-patches.tar.gz (ok it's currently empty). The patch will then be applied during the build process. Heiko = |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-06-18 17:49:43
|
> >The "work-around" seems to be to turn off the kernel option: > >CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC "IO-APIC support on uniprocessors" > > > >So I ran "make menuconfig" in tmp/linux-2.4.21, turned it off, then: > >cd ../../scripts/ > >./build.sh build opt=linux > >./build.sh install opt=linux > >cd .. > >rm tmp/.done_iso_100_build-iso > >make iso > > > >and now VMware-4 boots fine from my ISO image. :-) > > > >CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC appears in the files: > >scripts/config/config_linux.up (and .smp) > > > >Should someone upload a "fix"? > > Is there a patch available? All I've found is a "-ac1" patch. I don't know if this fixes it or not. Would you like me to try it? Otherwise I would REALLY like to turn off CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC in scripts/config/config_linux.up so I can develop without having to burn CD's and boot them on a real PC. IMO this is a better option than running the first Alan Cox pre-release anyway, since there may be new problems introduced in -ac1. (I can't go back to VMware 3 because I already updated my virtual hard drives to version 4 for the Windows stuff I need to run) - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-06-18 18:19:10
|
On 06/18/2003 01:49:21 PM Bruce Smith wrote: >> >The "work-around" seems to be to turn off the kernel option: >> >CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC "IO-APIC support on uniprocessors" >> > >> >So I ran "make menuconfig" in tmp/linux-2.4.21, turned it off, then= : >> >cd ../../scripts/ >> >./build.sh build opt=3Dlinux >> >./build.sh install opt=3Dlinux >> >cd .. >> >rm tmp/.done_iso_100_build-iso >> >make iso >> > >> >and now VMware-4 boots fine from my ISO image. :-) >> > >> >CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC appears in the files: >> >scripts/config/config_linux.up (and .smp) >> > >> >Should someone upload a "fix"? >> >> Is there a patch available? > >All I've found is a "-ac1" patch. I don't know if this fixes it or no= t. >Would you like me to try it? > >Otherwise I would REALLY like to turn off CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC in >scripts/config/config_linux.up so I can develop without having to burn= >CD's and boot them on a real PC. IMO this is a better option than >running the first Alan Cox pre-release anyway, since there may be new >problems introduced in -ac1. We for sure won't go to a -ac kernel. I'm also not happy with turning off the IOAPIC for everybody. You can modify it for your local development environment, but don't check it in= . I would suggest monitoring mailinglist and looking for patches over the= next few days. cya Heiko = |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-06-19 13:15:41
|
> I'm also not happy with turning off the IOAPIC for everybody. You can > modify it for your local development environment, but don't check it in. > I would suggest monitoring mailinglist and looking for patches over the > next few days. I found some work-arounds to make it work in VMware-4, without running a non-standard DL kernel. Last night, I started a new compile following a mrproper, and compiled my kernel as SMP. That one boots fine in VMware. Otherwise I can hold down space during boot, and type "linux noapic". Or modify build-iso and add "noapic" to the "append ... " line. I've tried it both ways, and it boots fine with VMware-4. With that said, I still recommend we turn off IOAPIC in the UP kernel to avoid problems that some people are going to have. People who really want/need IOAPIC can run a SMP kernel. At least, I don't know of any harm running a SMP kernel on a UP system... - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-06-19 13:39:49
|
On 06/19/2003 09:15:28 AM Bruce Smith wrote: >> I'm also not happy with turning off the IOAPIC for everybody. You ca= n >> modify it for your local development environment, but don't check it= >in. >> I would suggest monitoring mailinglist and looking for patches over >the >> next few days. > >I found some work-arounds to make it work in VMware-4, without running= >a non-standard DL kernel. > >Last night, I started a new compile following a mrproper, and compiled= >my kernel as SMP. That one boots fine in VMware. > >Otherwise I can hold down space during boot, and type "linux noapic". >Or modify build-iso and add "noapic" to the "append ... " line. >I've tried it both ways, and it boots fine with VMware-4. > >With that said, I still recommend we turn off IOAPIC in the UP kernel = to >avoid problems that some people are going to have. People who really >want/need IOAPIC can run a SMP kernel. At least, I don't know of any >harm running a SMP kernel on a UP system... I think it's a good idea. Let's switch off APIC for the UP configuration. (can you do it?) UP is mostly for older computes which have problems with SMP Kernels an= d most likey also with APIC. Leave it on for SMP. cya Heiko = |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-06-19 14:38:37
|
> >With that said, I still recommend we turn off IOAPIC in the UP kernel to > >avoid problems that some people are going to have. People who really > >want/need IOAPIC can run a SMP kernel. At least, I don't know of any > >harm running a SMP kernel on a UP system... > > I think it's a good idea. > Let's switch off APIC for the UP configuration. (can you do it?) Sure, I'll do it. All of them, or just IOAPIC that's causing this problem (2nd line below)? Right now we have: CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC=y CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC=y CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC=y CONFIG_X86_IO_APIC=y I can't find the last two variables in the linux-2.4.21/.config file, so I'm not sure they exist any longer. Maybe they were replaced by the first two? > UP is mostly for older computes which have problems with SMP Kernels and > most likey also with APIC. > Leave it on for SMP. Sure, but I don't think it matters. I don't think we have a choice for SMP. I'm not an APIC expert, but I think APIC is required for SMP. - BS |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-06-19 17:47:34
|
> > Let's switch off APIC for the UP configuration. (can you do it?) > > Sure, I'll do it. All of them, or just IOAPIC that's causing this > problem (2nd line below)? Right now we have: > > CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC=y > CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC=y > CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC=y > CONFIG_X86_IO_APIC=y Checked in. It now reads: CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC=y # CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC is not set # CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC is not set # CONFIG_X86_IO_APIC is not set I think we'll be OK with UP_APIC without UP_IOAPIC. I'll run a mrproper & new compile overnight to make sure. - BS |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-06-18 15:13:26
|
> >I just booted my new DL ISO in VMware, compiled yesterday with the new > >kernel. During bootup, after the message: > > > >"Searching for Devil-Linux CDROM" > > > >I get a page full of "hda: lost interrupt" messages, intermixed with > >a few "hda: DMA interrupt recover" messages. > > > >It's still trying to boot... > > I booted it yesterday within VMWare and had no problems, I'm still using > Vmware 3.1 I'm using VMware 4.0.0. > I'll upload a new testing release and test it on a real computer later > today. Keep me posted. - BS |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-06-18 15:21:41
|
What's the quickest way to recompile the kernel (short of mrproper) and make a new ISO? I want to try some different configuration options. Thanks, BS |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@re...> - 2003-06-18 17:19:59
|
> >I just booted my new DL ISO in VMware, compiled yesterday with the new > >kernel. During bootup, after the message: > > > >"Searching for Devil-Linux CDROM" > > > >I get a page full of "hda: lost interrupt" messages, intermixed with > >a few "hda: DMA interrupt recover" messages. > > > >It's still trying to boot... > > I booted it yesterday within VMWare and had no problems, I'm still using > Vmware 3.1 > I'll upload a new testing release and test it on a real computer later > today. I burned my ISO to a real CDRW, and it booted fine on a real PC. I've been doing a lot of google'ing around, and there is a LOT of talk of this problem, which appears to only effect certain IDE controllers. The "work-around" seems to be to turn off the kernel option: CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC "IO-APIC support on uniprocessors" So I ran "make menuconfig" in tmp/linux-2.4.21, turned it off, then: cd ../../scripts/ ./build.sh build opt=linux ./build.sh install opt=linux cd .. rm tmp/.done_iso_100_build-iso make iso and now VMware-4 boots fine from my ISO image. :-) CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC appears in the files: scripts/config/config_linux.up (and .smp) Should someone upload a "fix"? - BS |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2003-06-18 17:31:30
|
Bruce Smith wrote: > > CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC appears in the files: > scripts/config/config_linux.up (and .smp) > > Should someone upload a "fix"? Hmmm...I guess somehow VMWARE needs to support the IO-APIC not devil linux I guess. -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-06-18 17:36:52
|
> > CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC appears in the files: > > scripts/config/config_linux.up (and .smp) > > > > Should someone upload a "fix"? > > Hmmm...I guess somehow VMWARE needs to support the IO-APIC not > devil linux I guess. >From all the traffic I found while searching the net, I think this is a problem with 2.4.21 and some IDE chipsets. Other people with this problem were not running VMware, but real PC's. And my VMware-4 (save version) worked fine on DL w/2.4.20. IMO this should be fixed in DL, at least until there is a kernel patch for it, otherwise some people will run into problems. - BS |