Problems upgrading to 4.01

2004-09-20
2012-09-26
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Hello there.

Bought the 'Teach yourself C++ in 24 hours' book a while back (third edition). It comes with a CD containing the version 4 compiler, and a zipped file containing an upgrade to 4.01.

The basic compiler installs just fine. However, whenever I try to extract the upgrade into \Dev-C++ directory (as instructed on page 7 of the book), a pop up screen appears informing me that the content in question is password protected, and I need to enter said password before it will carry on.

I've looked all over the book, the cd, the cd case, and all the packaging, but for the life of me I cannot see anything that looks remotely like a password, nor do the installation instructions anywhere give any mention of needing such a thing. Anyone got any ideas what password they want and where I can find it? Operating system is Windows XP.

Many thanks,

Pat

• Nobody/Anonymous

1) Version 4 and 4.01 are pretty old and outdated. The current version is Dev-C++ 5.0 beta 9 (4.9.9.0)and can be found here: http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html

2) Below on the same page you can find the old Dev-C++ 4.01 update. Maybe just downloading it again solves the problem. Or it is just a buggy ZIP tool.

3) I recommend you download the current version. The programs from the book should work as well and if you encounter any problems people can help you (if you use outdated versions there are less people who can help).

• Anonymous - 2004-09-20

"The programs from the book should work as well"

Except that MinGW/GCC 2.95 used with that version of Dev-C++ does not support namespaces, and the standard library is not therefore in teh std namespace.

This may require a few minor modifications to the code. Read the forum FAQ for details.

Clifford

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks