Menu

Obtain public IP from Apple Time Capsule

Help
2019-08-18
2019-08-19
  • Marko Matijasevic

Hello everyone,

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this, I've been trying to crack this for days now with no success. I've successfully set up ddclient to obtain IP and send it to Cloudflare over API so it could be updated in case ISP gives me a new one. But the problem is I have Mullvad VPN on my Pi (intended to be part of a double-hop VPN), so ddclient basically picks up that public IP, instead the one on my router. My idea was to make ddclient just check my router, but I have Apple Time Capsule and it is not on the of supported routers. And since it doesn't have web interface, I couldn't even use ddclient -geturl 10.0.1.1 *mytimcapsulepassword* or ddclient -daemon=0 -queryto find out the command how to obtain it from Time Capsule. I only get this with the 1st one:

WARNING:  cannot connect to 10.0.1.1:80 socket: IO::Socket::INET: connect: Connection refused
    URL 10.0.1.1

And with the 2nd one I just get a list of routers and interfaces it attempted to access. Of course, all routers were connection refused and all IPs were actually from Mullvad, not my actual IP.

Did anyone had any experience with Apple Time Capsule? Or does anyone have any idea how I might make ddclient check that with Time Capsule? This is pretty much the last step to set this up and I can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!`

• Marko Matijasevic

Solved it by split tunneling, so posting here if anyone ever gets stuck on a similar thing. Essentially made an exception for ip.changeip.com (which I use for use=web, web=ip.changeip.com) in VPN, so it goes through normal traffic, resulting in successful IP retrieval at Cloudflare.