Menu

interesting performance observations

ChrisWB
2005-02-08
2012-12-05
  • ChrisWB

ChrisWB - 2005-02-08

Hi There,

I'm developing a Game with CS (as quickly as my daytime job permits, so please don't try to register for beta-testing yet ;-) and made this observation:
    ~100 FPS on my Athlon 2400+ Laptop with Mobility Radeon 9600, Single Channel 333Mhz RAM, CS0.98
    ~80 FPS on my Athlon 64 3500+ Barebone with Geforce 6800, Dual Channel 400Mhz RAM, CS0.99

Now what is with that? Is it 0.98 vs 0.99 ? Or Nvidia vs. ATI? Or is the 32bit Athlon more CS-friendly?

Basically I'm displaying 1 genmesh with ~130k polys and a single 1024x1024 32bit texture. so both graphics cards *should* do more than 100FPS anyway. Background is I try to do terrain, but for several reasons I do not want to use the CS terrain engine. So I create the terrain from a heightmap using the simplest, fastest thing there is: genmesh.
    (If I'm wrong there please correct me!).

Any ideas or pointers will be appreciated.

Regards

Christian

• F Richter

F Richter - 2005-02-08

If you want to know whether it's CS or your hardware, I suggest you test CS 0.99 on your Laptop as well as 0.98 on your barebone.

One guess: at some point we disabled vertex buffer objects(=a way to load vertex data directly into the system ram) by default in CS0.99 due some problems that it caused. Check the "Video.OpenGL.UseExtension.GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object" setting in r3dopengl.cfg and try setting it to 'true'. You also try the inverse for 0.98 (setting it to false).

• ChrisWB

ChrisWB - 2005-02-08

Hmm, unfortunately I was forced to use 0.99 on the Barebone because 0.98 would crash.
      Well, walktest and my app and half a dozen others would crash, awstest for example would run.
      I'll look into 0.99 on the laptop and see if this makes a difference.
      Just tried Video.OpenGL.UseExtension.GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object = true, you're perfectly right about it causing issues-> crashed at once

The barebone hardware as such has been HL2 tested, it IS faster than the laptop ;-).