Small Feature Request: Trim "Administrator"

2009-02-12
2013-06-12
  • Raymond Bennett

Raymond Bennett - 2009-02-12

In Vista+, when you open an administrator command prompt, it shows "Administrator: WINDOWTITLE". Because of the tabs, all I really see is Administrator, and I was wondering if
    1. We could have an option of removing the Administrator text
    2. We could color Administrator tabs in a different color?

Thanks

• Kirill

Kirill - 2009-02-14

> 1. We could have an option of removing the Administrator text
      Unfortunately, it will break the design IMHO. As a weak attempt to be more helpful, have you tried playing with Settings -> Appearance -> "Use tab titles" and "Use console window title"?

2. We could color Administrator tabs in a different color?
      There is almost no point in doing that. Because there is a good chance that all the tabs share the same user. This is only a theory [and my experience with multiple tabs, but all of them are cmd.exe]. It's also kind of difficult to do. How do I know when to remove the "Administrator:" and when not? I can't just strip of "Administrator:" from the title because it may be there as a result of the following command, executed from cmd.exe:

title Administrator: Console

Do you have any reference to a doc that explains how to figure out whether the cmd.exe is launched as Administrator? That might help.

Thanks!

--
      Kirill.

• Lee Doron

Lee Doron - 2009-02-24

I just added to my Tracher artifact (2547030), which also asks for #1. Basically: give us the option, and if we enable it, we are asking that the prefix always be removed, even if it's the result of an explicit "title" command. Thanks!

• Kirill

Kirill - 2009-02-14

Just realized that the part, starting with "It's kind of difficult to do" applies to the item 1.

Sorry about the confusion.

• Miwa

Miwa - 2009-02-23

In my custom build for my Vista64 machines I just searched for "Administrator" in the window title and replaced it with "*". 

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks