ConEmu-Maximus5 is a Windows console window enhancement, which presents multiple consoles and simple GUI applications as one customizable tabbed GUI window with various features.
Initially, the program was created as a companion to Far Manager (Far in Wikipedia), my favorite shell replacement - file and archive management, command history and completion, powerful editor.
Today, ConEmu can be used with any other console application or simple GUI tools (like PuTTY for example). ConEmu is an active project, open to suggestions.
This project grew up from ConEmu by Zoin.
ConEmu is not a shell, so it does not provide "shell features" like tab-completion, command history and others. ConEmu is advanced console window where you can run any shell of your choice. However, some of these features placed in RoadMap.
ConEmu starts a console program in hidden console window and provides an alternative customizable GUI window with various features:
- smooth and friendly window resizing;
- tabs for editors, viewers, panels and consoles;
- run simple GUI apps in tabs;
- Windows 7 Jump Lists and Progress on Taskbar buttons;
- easily run old DosBox DOS applications (games) in Windows 7 or 64-bit OS;
- thumbnails and tiles in Far Manager;
- normal, maximized and full screen graphical window modes;
- window font anti-aliasing: standard, !ClearType, disabled;
- window fonts: family, height, width, bold, italic, etc.;
- using normal/bold/italic fonts for different parts of the console simultaneously;
- Chinese verions of Windows supported;
- using 24-bit colors in Far Manager 3.x;
- ANSI X3.64 and Xterm 256 colors;
- cursor: standard console (horizontal) or GUI (vertical);
- optional per-application settings (e.g. palette);
- vertical console buffer scrolling using the keyboard (!BufferHeight mode);
- show full output (1K+ lines) of last command in Far Manager's editor/viewer;
- customizable Far Manager right click behaviour (long click opens context menu);
- drag and drop (explorer style) of files and folders in Far Manager;
- limited support of BDF fonts;
- user friendly text and block selection;
- transparency and desktop mode;
- customizable starting tabs;
- configurable and clickable status bar;
- and more, and more... take a look at the Settings dialog, What's New page and Settings.reg
All settings are read from the registry (multiple configurations are supported) and
after that the command line parameters are applied. Parameters /Config and
/BufferHeight are only for command line. Most of settings are changed only in
the Settings dialog, not from the command line.
- Install "
ConEmuSetup.*.exe" package. Note, if You are using Far manager, preferred installation destination is folder containing "
- Far manager related.
- Import to the registry Far (1.x & 2.x) manager macroses, related to ConEmu. Macro
*.reg files are located in
ConEmu.Addons directory. Each macro file (
*.reg) has description in header. Just doubleclick choosen files in Windows Explorer to import them.
- Far (3.x) macros located in
- By default (started without command line params), ConEmu runs "
far.exe" from it's home folder, or "
cmd.exe" if Far Manager not found. Alternatively, You may specify any root command, specifying "/Cmd <App with="" params="">" argument in ConEmu shortcut or command line.