Menu

DB Independance - Suggestion (SAPDB)

2003-01-31
2003-06-24
  • Martin Schinkmann

Hello to all,

I do not want to restart a long discussion on DB independance. But what about using SAPDB. Its completly free, it runs on various platforms (Windows, Linux, HP, AIX, etc.). It comes with all you need to implement a true DB application and is as powerfull as ORACLE ;-).

It supports the required transactions, procedures and triggers.

So what do you think?

Thanks in advance
    Martin

• Kathy Pink

Kathy Pink - 2003-02-04

SAP DB does not support PL SQL so it would be a big effort to port it and it would not give you database independance.  That is why the decision was made to use JBoss which could by any SQL compliant DB (including SAPDB)

• Arthur Isaenko

Arthur Isaenko - 2003-05-26

Not quite ;-) SAP DB has Oracle 7 compatibility mode, that why it does support PL/SQL. Hope, Compiere & SAP DB is a good way, bacause:
        1. porting workload is minimal in comparison other free databases such as firebird, postgresql ant etc.
        2. it's free.

I'm not sure that jboss is good place to all business logic code, because in fact, in this case we will have serious performance degradation.

cheers,
        Arthur

• Arthur Isaenko

Arthur Isaenko - 2003-05-26

Not quite ;-) SAP DB has Oracle 7 compatibility mode, that why it does support PL/SQL. Hope, Compiere & SAP DB is a good way, bacause:
        1. porting workload is minimal in comparison other free databases such as firebird, postgresql ant etc.
        2. it's free.

I'm not sure that jboss is good place to all business logic code, because in fact, in this case we will have serious performance degradation.

cheers,
        Arthur

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2003-05-27

Geezo..!! Anything that has SAP attached to it I want to say away from it.

May not be the same, but SAP AG and their installations at the worlds major oil companies have been an unqualified disaster.

The latest to bite the big worm was Conaco. They are so screwed up you can order ANY product from them. Have another client that got product ordered by they can get an invoice with any price/cost data on it.

So if this SAP is the same or allied with SAP AG run away.

IMHO, if ya wanna use MYSQL, SQL92, PostgreSQL then have at it. But remember that Oracle is the foundation here and WE as developers need to create dbspecific mods that will keep us in line with the mainline development direction as each new release is posted.

Getting into DBWARS is not productive in this project.

--Herbie

• Arthur Isaenko

Arthur Isaenko - 2003-05-28

What are you talking about ? Do you mean SAP R/3 and something like that ?

Again, SAP DB is released under GPL license like Linux instread of your favorite Oracle. Honestly speaking, I think, at the moment that is best free RDBMS.

Anyway, as developer, please let me know what is going on ?
            Are you planning to keep support Oracle only ?
            If not, IMHO, you have only two justified alternatives:
            1. to move business logic code from db tier(stored procedures) to middle tier(jboss). In other words, this way is to rewrite stored procedures on java as much as possible and use db via some object relational mapping framework like TopLink or OJB. In this case you will have performance degradation in several cases.
              2. to maintain separate db specific module for each RDBMS. In case you are going to support several different database servers, this way will increase workload dramatically.

Which one do you prefer ?

Please keep in mind, I just would like to know what in nearest product roadmap, what is going on ,  and stuff like that, without starting yet another holy war ;-).

Arthur

• Dan Browning

Dan Browning - 2003-06-24

Arthur,

I would like to see a SAP-DB port too, but wishing wont get us there.  SAP-DB *DOES NOT* support PL/SQL.  I quote from the SAP-DB documentation:

"In Oracle, database procedures, DB functions, and triggers are defined in PL/SQL, a language similar to ADA."

"In SAP DB, Structure linkdatabase procedures and Structure linktriggers are defined in a language similar to C."

That was taken from this url:

http://www.sapdb.org/7.4/htmhelp/33/a74e3c66cd437be10000000a11402f/content.htm

SAP-DB does not, and has not ever supported PL/SQL, Oracle compatibility mode or not (maybe they should call it 95% compatible).

• Diego Lopez

Diego Lopez - 2003-05-27

Which is the final migration target? AFAIK Initially there was an effort to migrate to postgresql but now I'm hearing really often that the new target is J2EE CMP Entity Beans. Are Compiere ppl working on this??