Menu

Parent Proxy Address Missing; using a corporate proxy address giving me an error

Help
Richard
2015-12-15
2015-12-15
  • Richard

Richard - 2015-12-15

Hi there,

Trying to setup Cntlm to use a proxy provided to me by a corporate partner. It allows me to access ftp downlaods and other sites that are blocked by our network.

Because it is an internal proxy site, I don't know if posting the actual address here will help, so I'll call it proxy.company.com

I don't have an IP, only a url. Basically, I already use this proxy and configuration in a program, so I know that it works, but I can't seem to get it to work with Cntlm; I get a 'Parent proxy address missing' error. I've successfully pinged the proxy url and all seems well, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong

The program which currently uses it, is configured to use:

proxy server: proxy.company.com
    proxy port: 3129
    No domain or user id so that windows uses it's own default user, pass, and domain.

This is my Cntlm config file:

#
    # Cntlm Authentication Proxy Configuration
    #
    # NOTE: all values are parsed literally, do NOT escape spaces,
    # do not quote. Use 0600 perms if you use plaintext password.
    #

Username    removed 
    Domain      removed
    Password    removed

Proxy       proxy.company.com
    Proxy       proxy.company.com: 3129

NoProxy     localhost, 127.0.0.*, 10.*, 192.168.*

# Specify the port cntlm will listen on
    # You can bind cntlm to specific interface by specifying
    # the appropriate IP address also in format <local_ip>:<local_port>
    # Cntlm listens on 127.0.0.1:3128 by default
    #
    #Listen     3128

Basically I've opened cmd and used -M www.google.ca to test the configuration and I get the 'Parent proxy address missing' error.

I tried hashing out the user, domain, and password as well. Is it because it's not an IP address? What can I do to make this work?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Also, if you need a log file or something just let me know, although I'm not quite sure where to retrieve it from yet, I googled it and just got turned around of other people talking about their logs :P

Thanks,
    R

• Richard

Richard - 2015-12-15

Ok, so I finally found the sys logs generated from the error and it says this:

cntlm: Could not open default config file

So I tried opening cmd as admin and same issue. Not sure why it can't open the file...