Menu

Why are there no real manual pages online?

2018-10-05
2018-10-16
  • jesper james jensen

Hi all,

Longtime CloneZilla user here. The vast amount of options in CloneZilla and it's tools makes is appropriate for many different scenarios. I have been using it for years to clone machines.

But...

I hope i'm not stepping on anyones toes here - CloneZilla is a great and usefull tool, but the online documentation is simply sub par! It's hard to find heads and tails in it. Smart tools build into CloneZilla are hardly mentioned, let alone described online. There are some walkthroughs but poorly structured and sometimes not updated with newest and changed options.

A simple online wiki man pages repository, for all the tools would lessen the learning curve immensly for new users wanting to dig in to CloneZilla - (all of which can't be expected to be Linux experts). Some of the commands have --usage options giving somewhat credible information, but its not the same when you are sitting crafting PXE boot config files encompassing several different CloneZilla programs with many options that need to play nicely together...

Other people reverts to making their own manual pages:

http://www.ict.griffith.edu.au/anthony/info/apps/clonezilla_ocs-sr_options.txt

• Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2018-10-05

Thanks. Yes, you are right, and we are too lazy...
    For most of the commands, with the option "-h" or "--help", the usage will be shown. Yes, it's not easy to read if you do not use less or screen to scroll back. We will try to put them on the website.
    Thanks again for pointing this.

Steven

• jesper james jensen

Thanks for the answer. I think there could be many more use cases for CloneZilla and more users, if all the options and possibilities are not so hidden.

What you see today when searching for answers, are therefore essentially the same one or two examples of command lines modified slightly :D

Keep up the good work!

• ndog37

ndog37 - 2018-10-09

While I share your sentiments somewhat clonezilla is a free and open source product that is continually changing. Documentation wise it could improve but there are hundreds of tutorials out there, and clonezilla can be used to image almost anything on any platform. I think Steven Shiau does a fantastic job anyway and he should be given more praise all round. The world is a better place with clonezilla.

• Bertrando Goio

Bertrando Goio - 2018-10-16

I agree, ndog37.

• chuck

chuck - 2018-10-10

Well said ndog37!