Menu

Cloning Problem with Win 10 Partitions on WD external Drive

Jim Giger
2017-02-24
2021-08-27
  • Jim Giger

Jim Giger - 2017-02-24

I'm trying to restore a Dell XPS m1530 laptop with 4 GM ram, Intel Core 2 Duo T9500 / 2.6 GHz & 300 GB hard drive. I was hoping to use Clonezilla which is on Ultimate Boot CD. I want to recover cloned files that I created with Macrium Reflect to overlay the OS on the Dell which is keeps getting "system not responding errors" in FireFox. While using Clonezilla I get the following messages:

"Warning: filesystem.squashfs not found" & Error: can't have overlapping partitions. Unknown partition table format of file /tmp/ocs-onthefly_local.s2rdcn/scr-pt.parted!"

I opened the external drive with Gparted and it recognizes the partitions without problem. This is new to me and I could use a bit of help! Thanks in advance for any input & advice!!!

• Jim Giger

Jim Giger - 2017-02-27

I found that you can boot to Linux and open a command prompt to use "fdisk -l -u /dev/sdb" to display the start and end points for the partition. With Fdisk output, the overlapping partition was apparent as one partition spanned several others. As it turns out, the external drive was not disconnected correctly which caused the issue. Luckily, I inserted the exteranl drive back in my other computer and then ejected correctly which resolved this issue.

• Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2017-02-27

OK, cool. Thanks for sharing that.

Steven

• raywood

raywood - 2021-08-27

Since this item came up early in a Google search, I'll add my own experience. I used Rufus to create a bootable USB drive with a Clonezilla-created ISO. The USB drive booted successfully, but then gave me a rather similar error message (which is presumably why my search led me here):

///WARNING/// filesystem.squashfs not found! No idea where is LIVE MEDIA!!! Assume this is running in DRBL client.
    /sur/sbin/ocs-live-run-menu is run in Clonezilla Live!
    Program terminated!

The solution may have been to eject the USB drive properly. Or it may have been that I went with the default values in Rufus, instead of changing details about the formatting. Among other things, that meant accepting Large FAT32 instead of changing it to NTFS.

See https://raywoodcockslatest.wordpress.com/2021/08/26/collateral-vm-backup/ for a more detailed writeup.