Menu

Unable to create 4 TB USB disk bootable

Brico
2019-12-20
2020-01-02
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Brico

Brico - 2019-12-20

I'm not able to modify the subject: but it's working !!!!!!!

You can read all pages, but you have a solution at the end!!!

Thanks for all.

I use clonezilla since a lot of years successfully.

But I've now a problem.

I've dowload last clonezilla live 2.6.4-10.

I'va installed clonezilla as said in "https://clonezilla.org/liveusb.php" with all methods: nothing works: when I reboot, my USB disk is seen by my BIOS, but if a select the USB disk, it happended nothing (nor error message): Win 10 boot.

I've made this on Win 10 Pro. Mother card is a Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3P. In BIOS, tests with "Storage boot option control: UEFI or legacy" don't help: USB hard disk is seen, but WIn 10 boot.

USB hard disk is a Western Digital 4TB. I've created a 400 MB FAT32 partition with Windows 10.

I've an other machine: XP.

I've too an old USB hard disk that is able to boot and clone by my two computers (Win 10 and Win XP).

So, I've tried to clone the good partition (old disk 1TB) to the new partition the new disk. Clonage is Ok. But when I boot the new disk on the old XP machine, I've: "Missing operating system". With gparted I've set flag to "boot", but this is not helpfull.

I'm a little lost.

If anyone have an idea.

Thanks for all.

Best regards.

Last edit: Brico 2020-01-02
  • Jeremy Boden

Jeremy Boden - 2019-12-20

Does the 4TB disk have a GPT or MBR partition table?
    I'm betting XP insists on MBR but WX created/expects GPT.

A MBR partition table can't address more than about 2.2TB.

Why not run XP as a VM on a Linux or WX machine, using Virtual Box?

• Brico

Brico - 2019-12-20

Thanks for your answer.
    I've used first WX to create a 400 MB partition. But after I've seen that before this partition, WX create a system partition (i don't remember the right name and the size, sorry). I've think that this system partition make /utils/win32/makeboot.bat running wrong (and so why my USB disk was not bootable).
    So I've used Win XP to delete all partitions in USB drive, and create my final 400 MB partition. So I think my 400MB partition is MBR (limited to 2.2TB).
    I'll see if:
    . is it possible to convert MBR to GPT,
    . or if it's possible to create, with WX, this 400 MB partition without an other partition before.
    Thanks for all.

• Brico

Brico - 2019-12-20

I've found, on WinX, there is, under cmd: "diskpart", then "list disk". So I see my USB disk is in MBR mode (I see GPT without "star"). So my partitions are limited to 2.2 TB.
    I've found after that if I convert MBR to GPT, I need UEFI BIOS. I've only one machine with UEFI, the others are without UEFI. So I won't convert in GPT mode.
    To convert, it seems to be possible possible without loosing data, on WinX, with MBR2GPT. But I won't use it...

For my boot problem: I don't know why, but I've now a 401 MB partition (MBR) on first position, and it is bootable. I've put some differents versions of Clonezilla on this partition (drag and drop), use after /utils/win32/makeboot.bat, and the USB external disk boot without problem. So I'm very sorry, but I don't know why now it's good.
    Sorry.

• Brico

Brico - 2019-12-21

I've finally try to convert my USB disk with mbr2gpt. I've found that for a data disk it's not usefull (only for system disks).

So i've destroy all my partitions, and create a MBR disk. And after a 401MB partition.

I've installed one more time "clonezilla-live-2.6.4-10-amd64-debian.zip", and have used /utils/win32/makeboot (and /utils/win64/makeboot64), but USB disk don't boot.

Finally: is it possible to have a GPT USB disk bootable with clonezilla ?

Thanks for all.

• Brico

Brico - 2019-12-21

I'd like to make it run !!

I've made others tests with ISO (and not ZIP file).

My USB disk is GPT (and not MBR):

C:>diskpart
    DISKPART> list disk

N° disque Statut Taille Libre Dyn GPT

Disque 0 En ligne .................................
    Disque 1 En ligne 3725 G octets 3725 G octets *

A 401 MO NTFS partition has been created with Win 10 Pro on Disque 1. It's name is "F:".

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Using "tuxboot-0.8.2.exe":

Setings:
    Pre Downloaded: ISO - clonezilla-live-2.6.4-10-amd64-debian.iso
    "Drive" dont't show USB partition "F:". So:
    Show All Drives
    MD5 Check
    Type: USB Drive
    Drive: F:
    Ok

No error.

Reboot.

BIOS Settings (Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3P): Storage Boot Option Control: UEFI / Other PCI Devices: UEFI.

At boot, I see USB Disk and choose it.
    Wrong: WinX boot (not USB disk).

Format "F:" NTFS.

Same install with "clonezilla-live-20191024-eoan-amd64-ubuntu.iso".

Using "LinuxLive USB Creator 2.9.4.exe".

First step: choose key: I see may partition "F:", but in "HDD" (not in USB Key). I choose "F:", but red light remains red.
    Impossible to launch this tool.

Using "rufus-3.8.exe".

Peripheral: I don't see "F:", and I can't show it.
    Impossible to launch this tool.

• Brico

Brico - 2019-12-21

I destroy "F:" partition, and create a "F:" partition on the entire USB disk.

Create using "tuxboot-0.8.2.exe" and Debian and Ubuntu ISO.

A have a virtual Win 2019 Enterprise if necessary.

Thanks for all.

• Brico

Brico - 2019-12-21

I've found "AIO_Boot_Extractor.exe".

I use it to install "clonezilla-live-2.6.4-10-amd64-debian.iso" on the entire USB disk.

It doesn't boot.

BUT ........ If, in AIO, I use "Install Grub 2 Legacy", IT BOOT !!!!!

I can choose how to boot Clonezilla.

Clonezilla boot, and I've a Kernel Panic...

But my USB disk boot !

If this test can be helpfull to find a solution...

Thanks for all.

• Jeremy Boden

Jeremy Boden - 2019-12-21

Basically, Grub 2 Legacy supports MBR partition tables - it might be able to handle GPT - but not in a way that is compatible with WX.

It is kind of OK with GPT because GPT ignores the first 512 bytes, in case some MBR software manipulates the MBR area. This is a way of preserving the GPT partitition information.

If you had an install copy of Windows 10 you could install it & get it to boot in GPT. The same would be true for a Linux distro, only much quicker to do.

• Brico

Brico - 2019-12-21

I'we to install Win10 on my USB disk ? It's not what I want. I'don't understand.

I'd like to install clonezilla on this USB disk to make this USB disk bootable and able to clone. Clonezilla will be able do boot without Win 10 ?

With AIO Boot Creator, there is a tool: "partition management". I see a first partition "MS reserved" (128 MO). After, there is MY partition "F:".

I don't see this partition "MS reserved" in Win 10 graphical manager.

Do you want me try to destroy this "MS reserved" ?

The tool offer to create a "ESP Partition" (EFI System Partition, use to boot OS on UEFI BIOS Platforms). If you want, I can try to create this ESP partition befor my "F:".

Thanks for all.

• Jeremy Boden

No - don't destroy anything.

That "ESP Partition" holds boot information for multiple OS's - Windows, Linux etc.
    It will be created as a small FAT32 partition.

AFAIK a UEFI BIOS requires its prescence.

• Brico

Brico - 2019-12-21

Excuse me. I've tested...

I've destroyed "MS reserved" partition, and created "ESP Partition".

But the result is the same:
    . with "Default bootloader in UEFI mode": USB disk don't boot (error message: "missing operating system").
    . with "grub2 [Legacy]": Clonezilla boot fine, but have a Kernel Panic:

[ Firmware bug]: TSC_DEADLINE disabled due to Errata, please update microcode to version: 0x52 (or later)

And some lines after:
    Code: Bad RIP value.

Is it usefull ?

• Jeremy Boden

The TSC_DEADLINE thing is Linux related (an accidentally resurected bug). It was refixed so I would imagine that a later version of CZ would not suffer from it.

Last edit: Jeremy Boden 2019-12-21
  • Brico

Brico - 2019-12-22

I made new tests with an USB key (8GB NTFS) formated with Win 10 Pro.

tuxboot-0.8.2.exe has installed clonezilla-live-2.6.4-10-amd64-debian.iso.

The key is working fine...

There is a difference with my 4 TO USB disk. Whose difference...

• Brico

Brico - 2019-12-22

I abandon.

I've formated a new time my USB disk 4TO: only 8GB NTFS. No ESP partition (the same the 8GB USB Key that working fine).

With tuxboot-0.8.2.exe and clonezilla-live-2.6.4-10-amd64-debian.iso I see at power on the USB disk, I choose the USB disk, but it doesn't boot (win 10 boot immediatly).

With AIO_Boot_Extractor.exe the USB disk is booting, but it say there is a bug to report. Do you want to see the message ?

I keep a few days my disk free. If you have some ideas and tests to do, no problems.

Thanks for all.

Sorry not having solution.

• Jeremy Boden

Jeremy Boden - 2019-12-22

AIO_Boot_Extractor can do many functions - "AIO Boot is a tool that can help you create a bootable USB with Grub2, Grub4dos, Syslinux, Clover and rEFInd. AIO Boot can boot Windows and most Linux distributions and boot via LAN using Tiny PXE Server."

Does the bug relate to a program bug or a bug relating to your disk?

• Brico

Brico - 2019-12-22

Here is the message:

BOOT FAILED !
    This live System image failed to boot.

Please... to boot.

The file /boot.log contains ... issues.

live-boot will ow start a shell. The error message was:

No supported filesystem images found at //AIO/Files/BackupRecovery/clonezilla-live-2.6.4-10-amd64-debian/live.

BusyBox v1.30.1 (Debian 1:1.30.1-4) built-in shell (ash)
    Enter "help"...

(initramsf) _ (prompt)

Is it sufficiant and help you ?

Have you some commands to do at prompt (how to see "/boot.log" ie) ?

Thanks for all. Really.

• Jeremy Boden

BusyBox is very limited, but to display /boot.log,

cat /boot.log

If this produces too much output, you can view output a screen at a time with

cat /boot.log | more

(press space bar to see the next page)

• Brico

Brico - 2019-12-22

I've done test.

I know Linux a little. cat is'nt avalable, and I don't see other command able to show /boot.log.

Commands available are: alias bg break cd chdir command continue echo eval exec exit export false fg getopts hash help history jobs kill let local printf pwd read readonly return set shift source test times trap true type ulimit umask unalias unset wait

• Brico

Brico - 2019-12-22

I'va made others tests:

If I use "Clonezilla live (Default settings, VGA 800x600)": I arrive to screens allowing Clonezilla. So it's running ! But my 4TO USB disk is only MBR and used with 8GO NTFS partition...

But if I use "Clonezilla live (To RAM, boot media can be removed later)", I have error printed below.

I don't know what to say. One choice in menu is running (I don't have launch a cloning). An other choice don't run.

I let my disk with 8GO NTFS partition. Then you can ask for tests (or say how to see boot.log).

In a few days (or when you want), I will destroy this partition, and create new NTFS partiton with ESP partition in first location (with ESP, my 4TO will be used).

Thanks for all.

• Jeremy Boden

I normally run CZ from a seperate bootable USB stick - its quite small.

Assuming you have a bootable USB WX drive; have you tried converting the current USB drive from MBR to GPT? Otherwise you might be faced with using your 4TB disk as MBR which means that half of it will be permanently wasted.

CZ can image your entire current MBR HDD onto the USB disk as MBR - with consequent unavailable space.

• Brico

Brico - 2019-12-22

The goal: having an bootable USB disk, with 2 partitions:
    . the first partition owns Clonezilla and is booting. So, on any PC, I can boot with this USB disk and launch Clonezilla.
    This partition wil only have Clonezilla.

. the second partition (all the rest of the disk, so about 3,6 TO) wil have images, results of clonage.
    So, on one disk, I've clonezilla and my PC images.

I've this solution on an "old" 1TO disk, and it's usefull. All is on the disk. You don't have to search for the "little" bootable USB key.

So I believed possible to make the same think with the new 4TO disk. But it seems to be complicated today.

Prehaps wait a little (weeks ? months ?) and it will have a solution for "big" USB disks.

The solution seems to be complicated today. I will stay and:
    . having a "little" USB key able to boot with clonezilla,
    . having my big 4TO USB disk only with images.

Is my way to do, not a good practice ? If yes, is it possible to ask persons that maintains Clonezilla to study a solution ? I'm not in a hurry, but prehaps it will be tried and used by others peoples in the future.

Thanks for all.

Best regards.

• Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2019-12-25

So even with uEFI boot only setting in your BIOS, the grub boot menu from Cloenzilla live does not work?

Steven

• Brico

Brico - 2019-12-31

Thanks for your answer.

I'm not able to make "normal" boot running. USB disk is seen by bios at boot (i can choose the usb disk), but immediatly WIN10 start.

But i'm not an eagle. I can make mistake while installing Clonezilla on 4TO USB disk.

Using "AIO_Boot_Extractor.exe", booting on 4TO USB disk is working, choice "Clonezilla live (Default settings, VGA 800x600)" seems to working fine (I arrive to first screen to clone, but I don't have cloned).

But using "Clonezilla live (To RAM, boot media can be removed later)" don't work (kernel panic).

My 4TO USB disk is free to make tests. I'm ready to make tests if you want.

Thanks for all.

Best regards.

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)