burn audio cd with cdtext and 0 sec pause

Help
Ika
2012-07-28
2012-07-31
  • Ika

Ika - 2012-07-28

hello there,

i want to burn 90min audio cds with 0 sec pause between tracks and cdtext but it wont work.

i run cdrtfe 1.41 portable on win7 32bit.

options are: close cd, write cdtext, disc at once, overburn.

settings: (drives) spti, (audio cd) use filename performer - title

tracks: no pause

when i check the cd in eac, i get 2 sec pause between all tracks without cdtext. any hints?

• Oliver Valencia

Oliver Valencia - 2012-07-28

Hello,

the settings you are using seem to be correct.

Regarding the CD-Text:

Please check with cdrtfe, if the CD-Text has been written. Insert the Audio CD and go to the 'DAE' project of cdrtfe. Then select the drive and klick 'Read TOC'. If the CD-Text is available, cdrtfe will show a track list with entries like:
    Track 01 <Performer> - <Title>

I have just tested EAC V1.0 beta 3. The program did not recognise my drive as CD-Text compatible, so I manually had to enable CD-Text reading.

Regarding the 0 sec pause:

If the audio files are written in disc at once mode with the no pause option enabled, cdrecord (and all other burning programs, i think) just line up all files and write them to the disc. Nothing (no silence/gap) is inserted in between. So, if a song ends in sector x the next song follows immediately in sector x+1. If you listen to a CD playing across such a track boundary, you will not hear any silence (except the silence already existed in the source file). The next track just begins immediately after the previous ends.

In this mode cdrecord does not add a pregap between two tracks, instead the last two seconds of a track may be interpreted as pregap for the following track by some players or software.

Again I have tested EAC and after detecting pauses (F4) it shows pauses between the tracks. However, playing the CD confirmed that there were no (additional or unexpected) gaps between the tracks.

• Ika

Ika - 2012-07-29

thank you for the infos.

im new to cdrtfe, have been using burrrn for years, but as it doesnt work with win7 anymore i was looking for an alternative. (and cdrtfe seems close)

i have tested cdtext in the dae project and it shows performer and title. when i burned audio cds with burrrn, performer and title would show up in eac, so i thought it is the same with cdrtfe burned disks?

regarding the 0 sec pause, with burrrned cds the tracks would change immediately to the next one and with cdrtfe they would show -1 on the display of my cd player before a turn (wont hear silence).

out of interrest i ripped the cd with eac and bitcompared the wavs with foobar and they dont match. i wonder why the burrrn cds were exact, could it be related to the 2 sec burn?

• Oliver Valencia

Oliver Valencia - 2012-07-29

I have no idea why EAC does not detect the CD-Text when the disc is written with cdrecord (the tool used by cdrtfe to perform the actual burning).

The time information (sub channel data) is generated during the writing process. It is possible that cdrecord does this in a different way compared to burrrn which uses cdrdao. And in addition, standalone CD players may display the time information differently. For example, I have created a disc at once CD with cdrecord. My CD player always shows the last 2 seconds of each track as pregap (-2 second countdown) for the following track. My DVD player doesn't display negative times at all. Instead it treats the track pregap of the following track as if it was part of current track.

So, if you copy a music CD by extracting the tracks and writing them with cdrecord/cdrtfe in disc at once mode, the contents will be the same, but the time display may differ from the original CD.

I wouldn't worry too much about the re-ripped tracks not being bit-identical. Reading audio data is a quite complex task which severely depends on the hardware and software used. I just extracted a track from a CD with different software and different drives comparing the md5 checksums. And although the tracks weren't identical, I couldn't hear any difference.

• Ika

Ika - 2012-07-29

one last question. does the option overburn affect a disk, when i dont overburn in the end.

can i always leave it turned on?

• Oliver Valencia

Oliver Valencia - 2012-07-30

does the option overburn affect a disk, when i dont overburn

Regarding cdrecord, AFAIK no.

can i always leave it turned on?

Regarding the frontend (cdrtfe) there is one potential problem. When the option overburn is enabled, cdrtfe does not perfom any size checks. So it's up to you to ensure that there is enough space on disc for the data you want to write.

• Ika

Ika - 2012-07-31

then i will leave it on, thanks.

i did another burn (90min 20s) and came across another problem when wanting to extract later with eac. this is not present on the first burned cd (under 90min).

before extracting i hit f4 to search for pause between tracks and it will hang on the last track of the disk and freeze. but it is possible to rip without searching for pauses.