Menu

Audio CD-RW?

Help
2000-12-12
2001-01-07
  • David Noelle

David Noelle - 2000-12-12

This weekend I finally bought, installed, and configured a CD-RW drive, an HP CD-Writer+ 9200i, and a whole bunch of CD writing programs, including cdrecord, mkisofs, cdrdao/gcdmaster, eroaster, and gtoaster.

I then spent the rest of the weekend trying to write an audio CD.  I've succeeded in writing something that my CD-ROM drive can play like a normal audio CD, but normal (non-computer) cd players fail to recognize it.  Is this because it's a CD-RW instead of a CD-R?  I'm testing on a CD-RW disk instead of wasting CD-R disks on failed attempts.  Is that the problem?

Also, is there any more documentation for cdrdao and gcdmaster than what comes with the source distribution?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2000-12-19

Yes, you answered your own question...

You regular cd players can't read a CD-RW.  only newer cd-rom drives and cd-rw drives can do this.  You will need to record music cd's only on CD-R discs.

-T

• Andreas Mueller

Andreas Mueller - 2001-01-07

The notes about playing CD-RW audio disks are completely right. You'll need a multi read capable CD-player to play CD-RWs.

About the documentation: What comes with the sources is currently all I have :)