Menu

Vintage drive show in Device Manager, but that's it

Dave Roden
2017-03-03
2017-03-03
  • Dave Roden

Dave Roden - 2017-03-03

So I've got this ancient Seagate 1gb drive in an Eltekon rack mount box connectyed to my Windows 7 computer through an Adaptec AHA-2010C card and, to my amazement, it actually appears to work. I haven't turned this thing on in 25 years. But there it is in device manager: IMPRIMIS 94601 - SCSI Disk Device.

Under properties it says "This device is working properly."

But for the life of me, I can't get anything to read it. HFSExplorer doesn't see it. Neither does Macdisk or several other such apps.

Naturally, my first thought is that the drive is corrupted or something. But the data is incredibly valuable to me so I want to exhaust every possibility to make it work.

What could it be? Am I missing something? Or is it toast?

• Erik Larsson

Erik Larsson - 2017-03-03

Maybe post a screenshot or two? Specifically it would be interesting to see what device manager says about the device. I assume it doe not show up in Storage -> Disk Management under Computer Management (compmgmt.msc)?

As a final measure you can check if you can find the device in WinObj ( https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/winobj.aspx ).

• Erik Larsson

Erik Larsson - 2017-03-03

Also... if all else fails I would check to see if a Linux Live CD (e.g. the Ubuntu install disc) recognizes the drive.

• Dave Roden

Dave Roden - 2017-03-03

Thank you Erik. I will try a few of your suggestions and report back. As for screenshots, there's really not much to see.

In device manager, under "Disc drives" it lists the the drive in question as "IMPRIMIS 94601 - SCSI Disk Device" which refers to the old Seagate.

Under properties, under the general tab it say it's working properly. It's missing the "Policies" tab. Under the Volume tab it's blank on everything.

Under the "Driver" tab, it shows the driver version.

Upon clicking the "Driver Details" button, it list two files:

C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\disk.sys
      C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\partmgr.sys

I've attached a screencap but not sure it will add any new data.