Menu

Buddi does not start up and java log file created

Help
hInstance
2017-09-27
2017-10-01
  • hInstance

hInstance - 2017-09-27

Hi, I recently updated my computer to Xubuntu 16.04 LTS and doing so seems to have broken Buddi (3.4.1.14). It seems to have installed but when you click on it nothing happens and a crash report from the JVM is left in my home directory.

• Wyatt

Wyatt - 2017-09-28

Hi there,

Can you please try the following:

1) Download the .jar version of Buddi from http://buddi.digitalcave.ca/buddi.jar. Save it to your downloads folder.
    2) Go to the console and type the command (without quotes): "java -jar ~/Downloads/Buddi-3.4.1.14.jar"
    3) Copy all the text from the console and paste it in this ticket.

(This tries to run Buddi directly using the Java executable, rather than the Ubuntu configuration. This will tell us if all the underlying components on the system, such as Java, etc are working properly.)

Thanks!

• hInstance

hInstance - 2017-09-29

Nothing happens I'm afraid:-

sweetr@helium:~$ java -jar ./Downloads/buddi.jar
    Error: Invalid or corrupt jarfile ./Downloads/buddi.jar
    sweetr@helium:~$ java -jar ./Downloads/buddi-3.4.1.14.jar
    Error: Unable to access jarfile ./Downloads/buddi-3.4.1.14.jar
    sweetr@helium:~$

• hInstance

hInstance - 2017-09-29

And when I do this to the buddi I had previously installed:-

sweetr@helium:~$ java -jar ./Buddi/Buddi.jar

A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:

SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0xb6ba2e48, pid=4017, tid=4031

JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (9.0) (build 9-internal+0-2016-04-14-195526.buildd.src)

Java VM: OpenJDK Client VM (9-internal+0-2016-04-14-195526.buildd.src, mixed mode, serial gc, linux-x86)

Problematic frame:

C [libjava.so+0x18e48] JNU_GetEnv+0x18

Core dump will be written. Default location: Core dumps may be processed with "/usr/share/apport/apport %p %s %c %P" (or dumping to /home/sweetr/core.4017)

An error report file with more information is saved as:

/home/sweetr/hs_err_pid4017.log

If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:

http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp

The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.

See problematic frame for where to report the bug.

Aborted (core dumped)

• Wyatt

Wyatt - 2017-09-29

OK, I see a couple of potential issues.

First, it looks like the new .jar file has been corrupted. Can you please try downloading again (possibly from another mirror).

Second, I see that you are using OpenJDK 9 as your JVM. This has never been tested; I would suggest trying Oracle JDK 8. You can download this from https://www.java.com

Please try these two steps, then run Buddi again using the same approach as above, and paste the output again.

Cheers

• hInstance

hInstance - 2017-09-29

Did the first suggestion with same outcome:-

sweetr@helium:~$ java -jar ./Downloads/Buddi-3.4.1.14.jar

A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:

SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0xb6b37e48, pid=4692, tid=4706

JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (9.0) (build 9-internal+0-2016-04-14-195526.buildd.src)

Java VM: OpenJDK Client VM (9-internal+0-2016-04-14-195526.buildd.src, mixed mode, serial gc, linux-x86)

Problematic frame:

C [libjava.so+0x18e48] JNU_GetEnv+0x18

Core dump will be written. Default location: Core dumps may be processed with "/usr/share/apport/apport %p %s %c %P" (or dumping to /home/sweetr/core.4692)

An error report file with more information is saved as:

/home/sweetr/hs_err_pid4692.log

If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:

http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp

The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.

See problematic frame for where to report the bug.

Aborted (core dumped)

Have been pulling my hair out trying to find and install Oracle 8 java as it no longer seems to be supported and I am getting the webpage run-around with conflicting and confusing information. Will keep trying though.

• hInstance

hInstance - 2017-10-01

In my searching I did come across that particular page and did try to follow it's instructions without much success. Nonetheless I will try it again.

• hInstance

hInstance - 2017-10-06

And it worked! I carefully followed the instructions on the page you suggested and now Buddi starts up fine using that older version of Java. Thank you for your help, I was even thinking of going back to the previous OS version to get Buddi going again.

• Wyatt

Wyatt - 2017-10-06

Great to hear it!

Cheers