Menu

Source file download and compilation procedur

General
2007-04-25
2012-12-10
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Hi all you techies out there, I would like to know the best way to download the source code for Buddi package and edit & compile the source etc., Hope you would forgive me for my ignorance and be helpful in getting me in the right direction. I see Buddi as a great place to srart the kind of application that I have in mind but am not sure how to use the simple structure available to build and add-on.

Any feed back and your past experiences related to getting Buddi up and running (especially for editing & compiling) would be appreciated.

Regards,

Ernest

• Wyatt

Wyatt - 2007-04-25

Hey there,

Check out the Developers page (http://buddi.sourceforge.net/en/developers.php) for some instructions on how to build.  I personally would recommend Eclipse, as it makes it much easier, but there is nothing keeping you from using a text editor and javac manually.

Cheers

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hi Wyatt,

Thanks for the quick response. It was good to hear from the author himself. Nice work I am impressed with what you have managed to do in your spare time. I have been trying to do something similar for years and never got off the ground. So I certainly appreciate your work and value all the tips that you give back to the forum.

Today I tried to install Argo2Ecore plug in and do exactly as you have suggested in EMF Mini Tutorial by adding a new field in the Account object and creating Buddi.xmi for the modification. (I successfully created xmi file!)

But I could not generate the Buddi.ecore file from the xml file. I cannot get the option to 'Click on Convert to Ecore' even though I have installed Argo2Ecore Plugin.

Are there any known problems in this process? I'm using Windows XP- Professional verion on a Dell Inspiron 6400 notebook computer..

Any information would be highly appreciated, and would help me to take away my frustration in not being able to do more testing on the product asap.

Cheers

Ernest

• Wyatt

Wyatt - 2007-04-26

I have not had problems getting this to work, but some other have in the past.  It appears that you need to install the EMF plugin as well before the Ecore plugin works.  Here is a copy of an email I sent to another developer who ran into a similar problem.  Sorry about the extra steps (some of this is probably trivial for you), but I figure it may help others who are trying to do the same.

<quote>
        0) ***Ensure that you have EMF installed first***  Please see my tutorial ( http://buddi.sf.net/en/emf.php ) for a link to the EMF Update Manager site, for instructions on how to do this).  If EMF is not installed, Argo2ECore will not work.
        1) Download the Argo2Ecore plugin .zip file.
        2) Save this to your Eclipse install directory.  If you are running on Windows, the default is C:\Program Files\Eclipse.
        3) Ensure that Eclipse is closed.
        4) Unzip the plugin .zip file to this directory.  If you are using Winzip, you can right click and select "Extract to here".
        5) Double check that it has extracted correctly.  Go to the Eclipse plugins directory (on Windows, c:\Program Files\Eclipse\plugins), and look for a folder called net.sourceforge.argo2ecore_2.1.0.  Within this folder, you should have a lib folder, argo2ecore.jar, and plugin.xml.
        6) Start Eclipse.
        7) Right click on the desired .xmi file in Eclipse, and select "convert to ECore".
        </quote>

Hopefully this helps a little... if you have any modifications to the Developers web site that would make it clearer, please send me the text.  I have not updated the documentation for some time, as I have been too busy with other things; plus, I don't experience the problems which people just starting out may run into.  8-)

Let me know if you have any further questions, and I will be happy to assist.

Cheers

• Nobody/Anonymous

Thanks for trying to help me Wyatt, I have done pretty much as you have suggested. this time I tried installing into Program Files/Eclipse/Plugins. I could see everything extracted into the plugins sub directory, but when I try to run Eclipse and opening the Buddi.xmi file, I do not have a link to click on as stated in the step 7, where you say
      <quote>
      7) Right click on the desired .xmi file in Eclipse, and select "convert to Ecore".

</quote>

Where on the eclipse screen (under which options and/selections) should we be able to see the "convert to Ecore" Action?

Best regards,

Ernest

• Wyatt

Wyatt - 2007-04-27

How did you install the EMF plugins?  The correct way would be to install them from the Help -> Software Updates -> Find and Install menu in Eclipse.  You would then add a new Remote site, with the name "EMF" and the location "http://download.eclipse.org/tools/emf/updates".  Follow the wizard through to completion.

As for where the option is, you can't miss it, if it's there - it is right on the top level of the context menu, about 1/2 or 2/3 of the way down.  Send me an email if you want (my address is listed in the Readme file), and I will send you a screenshot of how it looks...

Cheers