Menu

Question about 2.0.3

General
2007-01-18
2012-12-10
  • Nobody/Anonymous

After initially opening it up, setting up preferances, and starting my accounts, I checked out some of the reports that could actually open with so little information (Net worth line graph).  Anyhow, now when I try and view those same reports, it gives me the drop down menu and I select the time period I want it for (been using one month), and all it does is close that menu and show a check mark next to the time period.  How do I get the graph to actually show up?

• Wyatt

Wyatt - 2007-01-18

It sounds as if you are getting a null pointer error.  What platform are you running on?  If you are on a Mac, please run Console.app and copy the stack trace to this thread.  If you are running on Windows, open the command prompt, navigate to the Buddi install folder, and run Buddi.exe from the command line.  Again, copy any and all stack traces to this thread.

A stack trace is debugging information from Java which helps to locate the source of a problem.  It looks something like this:

Exception in thread "pool-1-thread-68" java.lang.NullPointerException
          at org.homeunix.thecave.tagger.model.Picture$1.run(Picture.java:71)
          at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:650)
          at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:675)
          at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)

It will sometimes be very long; I need the entire stack trace (all the way to the bottom line which starts with 'at') to see the source of the problem.

Cheers
      --Wyatt

• Nobody/Anonymous

Here you go.  This is after attempting to run each of 5 graphs one after another, in this order: Income Pie Graph, Expense Pie Graph, Expense Actual Budget Pie Graph, Net Worth Pie Graph, and Net Worth Line Graph.  Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help!

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
          at org.jfree.chart.ChartFactory.createPieChart(ChartFactory.java:228)
          at org.homeunix.drummer.plugins.graphs.IncomePieGraph.getGraphPanel(IncomePieGraph.java:50)
          at org.homeunix.drummer.view.GraphFrameLayout.updateContent(GraphFrameLayout.java:253)
          at org.homeunix.drummer.view.GraphFrameLayout.<init>(GraphFrameLayout.java:79)
          at org.homeunix.drummer.plugins.BuddiPluginHelper.openNewPanelPluginWindow(BuddiPluginHelper.java:25)
          at org.homeunix.drummer.plugins.PluginFactory$3.actionPerformed(PluginFactory.java:381)
          at javax.swing.JComboBox.fireActionEvent(JComboBox.java:1197)
          at javax.swing.JComboBox.setSelectedItem(JComboBox.java:561)
          at javax.swing.JComboBox.setSelectedIndex(JComboBox.java:597)
          at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicComboPopup$Handler.mouseReleased(BasicComboPopup.java:808)
          at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(AWTEventMulticaster.java:232)
          at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:5554)
          at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3126)
          at apple.laf.AquaComboBoxUI$AquaComboPopup$1.processMouseEvent(AquaComboBoxUI.java:443)
          at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:5319)
          at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2010)
          at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4021)
          at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2068)
          at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:3869)
          at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4256)
          at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:3936)
          at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3866)
          at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2054)
          at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:1774)
          at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:463)
          at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
          at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190)
          at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
          at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:176)
          at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)
      Caused by: java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for base name org.jfree.chart.plot.LocalizationBundle, locale en_US
          at java.util.ResourceBundle.throwMissingResourceException(ResourceBundle.java:836)
          at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundleImpl(ResourceBundle.java:805)
          at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundle(ResourceBundle.java:549)
          at org.jfree.chart.plot.PiePlot.<clinit>(PiePlot.java:401)
          ... 31 more
      Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
          at org.jfree.chart.ChartFactory.createPieChart(ChartFactory.java:228)
          at org.homeunix.drummer.plugins.graphs.ExpensesPieGraph.getGraphPanel(ExpensesPieGraph.java:49)
          at org.homeunix.drummer.view.GraphFrameLayout.updateContent(GraphFrameLayout.java:253)
          at org.homeunix.drummer.plugins.BuddiPluginHelper.openNewPanelPluginWindow(BuddiPluginHelper.java:25)
          at org.homeunix.drummer.plugins.PluginFactory$3.actionPerformed(PluginFactory.java:381)
          at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicComboPopup$Handler.mouseReleased(BasicComboPopup.java:808)
          at apple.laf.AquaComboBoxUI$AquaComboPopup$1.processMouseEvent(AquaComboBoxUI.java:443)
          at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
          at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190)
      Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
          at org.jfree.chart.ChartFactory.createBarChart(ChartFactory.java:634)
          at org.homeunix.drummer.plugins.graphs.ExpenseBudgetedVsActual.getGraphPanel(ExpenseBudgetedVsActual.java:64)
      Caused by: java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for base name org.jfree.chart.plot.LocalizationBundle, locale en_US
          at java.util.ResourceBundle.throwMissingResourceException(ResourceBundle.java:836)
          at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundleImpl(ResourceBundle.java:726)
          at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundle(ResourceBundle.java:549)
          at org.jfree.chart.plot.CategoryPlot.<clinit>(CategoryPlot.java:241)
          ... 31 more
          at org.jfree.chart.ChartFactory.createBarChart(ChartFactory.java:634)
          at org.homeunix.drummer.plugins.graphs.NetWorthBreakdown.getGraphPanel(NetWorthBreakdown.java:40)
          at org.jfree.chart.ChartFactory.createLineChart(ChartFactory.java:1010)
          at org.homeunix.drummer.plugins.graphs.NetWorthOverTime.getGraphPanel(NetWorthOverTime.java:65)

• Nobody/Anonymous

I was the guy that had the above problem, and with the most recent update installed, I'm getting even more significant issues with Buddi.  I'm running a 6 month old Intel MacBook Pro.  The problem I'm having now is that when I run Buddi, it starts, but does not give the little pop-up asking for the password.  In addition, I still have no clue what to do about my previous problem.  Should I consider starting from scratch, or getting rid of everything except the files containing my current financial data and re-install just the Buddi running files?  I'm really at a loss of what to do, but I really like the way Buddi works and I'd rather not have to switch to something else.

• Wyatt

Wyatt - 2007-03-11

I don't have any idea what could be causing this new problem, or your old ones.  Only one other person has mentioned problems with an Intel Mac, and those have gone away with the current version and reinstalling Java.

You can try to remove all the preferences files, delete Buddi, and try to install the newest version again to see if it helps.  The preferences are stored on a Mac in ~/Library/Application Support/Buddi - there are two .xml files, and you can delete them both.  Another possibility is to try creating a new data file, and see if that one works (just to determine what is causing the problem - either the data file or the program itself).  I would also recommened ensuring that you have the most recent Java updates installed.

Short of that, I really don't know what else you can do.  Unless I can reproduce the same problems on my machine, (which I have not been able to do at all so far), I cannot find where the problem is coming from.  On the off chance that it is a problem with the Intel Mac, I can't really do anything about that, as I'm too poor to afford one of them fancy things.  (If you want to buy me one, I would of course not object... ;-)

If you are willing, you could also send me your Buddi data file (along with your data file encryption password if you use one), and I can try loading it to see if the problem is with that (although I don't see how it could be - if there are any problems with the data file, Buddi reports that it is corrupt when you try to load it).  Of course, if you would rather not send me your financial data, I completely understand.  In a reversed situation, I would not want to do so.

I hope this helps at least a little... sorry that there is not much more which I can do.

Cheers
        --Wyatt

• Nobody/Anonymous

Well, I think I'm going to try and remove it and then re-install the whole thing.  What files are the financial data stored in, and would I potentially have to get rid of them, too and start from scratch?  As it is, I'm up on all the updates just by using the OSX Auto-update.  Is there something else I check on to make sure I've got the most recent Java update?  Thanks a lot for your help!

• Nobody/Anonymous

Financial data is stored where ever you set it.  By default, I try to use the file name Data.buddi (with rotating backups named Data.0.buddi, Data.1.buddi, etc), although you can override this name if you specify a different one.  However, you should not have to remove these files, any more than you would have to delete all Word documents when you re-install Word - they are just data files.  The only difference is that I store the most recently used data file in the Preferences, to speed up program start times (so the user does not have to open it every time).

Once you remove the preferences file, and start Buddi for the first time, it will prompt you for language and data file location.  You can either point to an existing data file, or point to a non-existent one (in which case Buddi will create it from scratch).  If you don't get both of these prompts, then you did not remove the preference file.

If you're updated on OSX Update, you should be up to date with Java... there should have been an update within the past 2 or 3 weeks, relating to the DST changes.  Do you remember getting that one?

Hope this helps
        Cheers
        --Wyatt