Menu

Backup

General
2007-02-11
2012-12-10
  • Nobody/Anonymous

I don´t understand the backup at all. When I open Buddi it opens a new file. When I close it, there´s still this new file. The new file does not contain the changes I made before closing it. If I go to "Backup data file" I get asked under which name and where I want to save it. Nothing happens happens after hitting ok. I guess there´s no way to make a backup with buddi ...

• Wyatt

Wyatt - 2007-02-11

There are two kinds of backups - Automatic and Manual.  Each will be discussed in turn.

Automatic backups are the ones which get created at the beginning of a session.  When you first start Buddi, before it opens the data file, it makes a copy of it.  This copy is rotated through the number of times you specified; in other words, Data.0.buddi is the copy from the beginning of the current session, Data.1.buddi is the backup from the beginning of the last session, Data.2.buddi is the backup from the beginning of the second last session, etc.  The reason I make a backup *before* I open the file (i.e., so that there is no changes from the current session), is so that you can always revert to a known good state if desired.

Manual backups are the ones which get created by the user when clicking on File -> Backup Data File.  When you do this, you should get prompted for a location and file name to back up to.  When you hit OK, the current state of the data file (including all changes made to the current session), is saved to this file.  After creating it, you will get a message confirming that the data file was created.

If you do not get this confirmation message, and the data file is not created, you may be running an older version.  In one of the earlier 2.0.x versions, manual backups were not working correctly.  That bug has been fixed since then - if you still experience this problem, verify that you are running the most recent version.  If you are, please let me know, as it sounds like you are still experiencing the same problem.

Hope this helps
      Cheers
      --Wyatt

• Nobody/Anonymous

Have to install the new version - will tell you what happened then.