"Buddi is damaged and can't be opened." error on Mac OS

General
Anonymous
2013-06-23
2016-02-21
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2013-06-23

Hi!
    I wanted to post this as a bug report via the Tickets system, but somehow I don't have the permission.

I'm running Mac OS 10.8.4 on a Late 2012 21.5-inch iMac (iMac13,1). When I'm trying to start Buddi in Version 3.4.1.10, I get the error message dialog "Buddi is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the trash." (I hope this is the correct translation from German to English) with the options "Cancel" and "Move to Trash". This happens both with the normal and the legacy version. It also happend with the last versions. The last working version that I am currently using is 3.4.1.5 (I think legacy).

Thanks, Julian

• Wyatt

Wyatt - 2013-06-23

Hi there,

Can you try downloading again? I have just tried downloading and it
    worked... I have seen it happen where SourceForge stops the download
    before it is completed, and it gets corrupted.

The proper download for Buddi-3.4.1.10.dmg should be 6,189,594 bytes (click on the download and hit Cmd + I to show info)

Cheers

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2013-06-23

Thanks for your fast response! I tried downloading it again and I checked the file size. It is exactly the number you've mentioned. I can open the image file and drag Buddi to my applications folder. But when I try to open it, the error remains.

• Wyatt

Wyatt - 2013-06-23

Well that is weird. I have just double checked, and the version I have just downloaded opens fine. A couple things to try:

1) Delete the version from /Applications before copying from the .dmg (just to make sure there is not components from the old one still in use)
    2) Send me (wyatt<at>digitalcave<dot>ca) a copy of your log file: ~/Library/Logs/Buddi.log -- I can check if there is any indication there as to what is happening

Thanks

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2013-06-23

I tried removing the old Buddi version before coping the new one. It doesn't help.
    Then something strange about the Buddi.log file: I located the file and removed it. Then I installed Buddi 3.4.1.10 again and tried to start it. It does not create the log file at all. I think it crashes somewhere before. I reinstalled version 3.4.1.5 (the version which is working fine) and it creates an empty log file.

• Wyatt

Wyatt - 2013-06-23

Very odd. Can you try the following:

1) Download the Buddi-3.4.1.10.jar file (instead of the .dmg)
    2) Run it from /Applications/Utilities/Termial.app (assuming it is in Downloads folder, you would use the command "java -jar ~/Downloads/Buddi-3.4.1.10.jar"
    3) If that doesn't work, then copy / paste all log output from the terminal to an email. If that does work, we will go forward with another attempt.

Long-term, you probably will not be able to stay with 3.4.1.5 - recent changes to the Java virtual machine in OS X 10.6 have rendered older versions of Buddi unable to start. This is fixed in 3.4.1.10. So far the same thing has not happened to OS X 10.8, but I would guess that the code base is the same, and it is just a matter of time until Apple releases a Java version for 10.8 which has the same issue. In other words, let's get this working for you, even if it takes a bit longer than originally thought. :-)

Cheers

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2013-06-23

That works! If I run the .jar file as you described, it opens as it should. On Terminal there is some information like
    INFO: Buddi version: 3.4.1.10
    but no error messages.
    Do you have an idea why it is working with the .jar file and not with the .app?

It is great that you care so fast about my problem! Thanks a lot :-)

• Wyatt

Wyatt - 2013-06-23

Ok well that is good to hear. Next step, let's get you to open console.app and watch while you open buddi.app. It may help to clear the logs in console.app before starting buddi to more easily see what is happening. I am not sure exactly what we are looking for... Just something which mentions buddi and gives any idea what is failing. Please send me whatever log error messages you may see here.

Cheers

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2013-06-23

Here are the three messages coming up in console.app:

23.06.13 23:18:26,542 taskgated[885]: failed to get signing info for pid=971 (cannot make code: invalid signature (code or signature have been modified))
    23.06.13 23:18:26,607 CoreServicesUIAgent[973]: Error SecAssessmentCreate: Der Vorgang konnte nicht abgeschlossen werden. (OSStatus-Fehler -67061.)
    23.06.13 23:18:30,231 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[133]: ([0x0-0xf80f8].org.homeunix.thecave.buddi.Buddi[971]) Exited: Killed: 9

The first two appear right at the moment I launch buddi.app. The third one shows, when I press the "Cancel" button on the error message dialog. The second one (I don't know why it is in German) means something like "... The progress could not be finished. (OSStatus-Error -67061.)"

Hope that makes sense to you :-)
    Cheers

• Wyatt

Wyatt - 2013-06-23

Well, I don't read German, the only thing I can think of at the moment is the setting under Preferences -> Security and Privacy. Verify that the setting for "Allow applications downloaded from" should be set to either "Mac store and identified developers" or "Anywhere". If it is set to "Mac Store and Identified Developers" then the first time you run the program you need to right click and select "Open", then select "Allow" (or something along those lines... I don't remember exactly). (If this doesn't make sense, try setting the value to "Anywhere" just to be sure).

Finally, if none of this works, try deleting or renaming the file ~/Library/Application Support/Buddi/Buddi3_Prefs.xml. Given that you are not seeing any log messages, I don't think this could be a problem, but I am not positive on that...

Let me know.
    Cheers

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2013-06-24

Good morning!
    That's it: In Preferences -> Security and Privacy -> "Allow applications downloaded from" my computer was set to "Mac store and identified developers" and it crashed. If I set it to "Anywhere" it starts as it should :-)
    On console.app it now only shows the first of the three messages from above.

Cheers

• Wyatt

Wyatt - 2013-06-24

Excellent! Thanks for the update. I am not sure why that is happening for you (it works for me with either of the two options), but perhaps there is something else set up differently between our machines.

Cheers

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2013-06-24

Thanks very much for your help! As long as I can use your application it is fine for me :-) And it seems that nobody else faces the same problem. That is strange, but ok. Thanks again! It is great how you care about your users!!

Cheers

• Mikael Mätäsaho

An update for this. Once launched succesfully with settings 'Allow from anywhere' you can change security setting back into 'Mac store and identified developers' and buddy continues starting succesfully.