Menu

Azure support

Help
2014-06-29
2015-09-03
  • Greg Postlewait

Greg Postlewait - 2014-06-29

Azure support is still not working because of the dependencies on system tables. There is another thread where someone was trying to rework some code so things would work but never followed up. If there are known work-arounds to get this installed and working on SQLAzure I'd love to know. I've been using this since 2006 in various companies and it works great. I want to set this up for my local rescue squad to help them track IT issues and Azure is available to us free of charge.

• Greg Postlewait

Greg Postlewait - 2014-06-30

After further investigations, I've discovered a couple things. First, the root issue is the use of the metadata table syscomments. It is being discontinued in SQL Server as a whole (and in Azure). BTNet uses it for storing the default value of any custom fields. I've found references to syscomments in util.cs, edit_customfield.aspx, and add_customfield.aspx. On a whim, I added a new 255 varchar field to custom_col_metadata and started changing references to use this field instead. There are some obscure references and this does not seem to be a simple search-and-replace fix. Ideas?

• Corey Trager

Corey Trager - 2014-07-02

Any ideas about what exactly. Not sure what you are asking.

• Greg Postlewait

Greg Postlewait - 2014-07-08

How to make this work on Azure. My second comment was a little vague and written in frustration, that simply moving the field from one table to another did not seem to work.

I can offer you access to my Azure install for your own investigation into this.

• Corey Trager

Corey Trager - 2014-11-21

My use of SQL Server metadata was not a good idea. For one thing, it makes it harder to migrate a database from one server to another because the custom field metadata gets confused (i forget the details, but there are posts in the forum on it). I would like to change the app to get rid of this dependency. Maybe I'll tackle it this winter.

• John D. Gwinner

John D. Gwinner - 2014-12-23

That would be great Corey. I'm getting some flack from Management for having the audacity on not being a cloud help desk :) (Of course, they don't want to spend any money).

I guess I could just spool up a VM in the Azure cloud and make BT a highly available instance. Would that work?

== John ==

• Corey Trager

Corey Trager - 2015-09-03

Sorry for this very late response. The winter of 2014-2015 has come and gone and I didn't do anything on this and I have no plans too. I don't have any experience with Azure. Sorry.