Menu

No sound with -voices 1

Help
2009-08-19
2013-05-23
  • Niklas Ramsberg

Niklas Ramsberg - 2009-08-19

When I start Bristol with  -voices 1 it starts as it should and the GUI is operational, but there is no sound. I do get sound if I set -voices higher than 1. This is a bummer since I really, really want to use e.g. the ARP Odyssey as a monophonic synth for lead lines.

I run Bristol with -jack.

FYI, I use Bristol 0.40.5 compilded two days ago on Ubuntu Studio 9.04 (Jaunty).

• Nick Copeland

Nick Copeland - 2009-08-19

That should work although it would use 'Last Note Precedence', perhaps there is an issue with that code section. What happens if you try the following:

startBristol -jack -odyssey -mono -hnp

That should give you a monophonic Odyssey with High Note Precedence, it uses different voice allocation code and is much closer to the original keyboard implementations. What happens if you try other synths such as the pro1 with the same options?

Kind regards, nick.

• Niklas Ramsberg

I've tried several synths with -voices 1, including the MiniMoog and Prophet 5. I'll try your suggestion when I get home tonight, or tomorrow.

Thanks,
      Niklas (yes, I'm a Nick too :-))

• Nick Copeland

Nick Copeland - 2009-08-19

Hi Niklas,

I tested the with the following:

Failed here too, no sound:
          startBristol -odyssey -voices 1

Worked:
          startBristol -odyssey -mono -hnp

Worked:
          startBristol -odyssey -voices 1 -hnp

Failed, no sound:
      startBristol -pro1 -voices 1

Worked:
      startBristol -pro1 -mono -hnp

So I have a bug somewhere in my monophonic Last Note Precedence note logic. I have a feeling I know where it is but another feeling that the best solution would be for me to internally reconfigure '-voices 1' to set the flags for '-hnp'. It would be a workaround I admit, but having said that the -hnp and -lnp playing styles are far cooler then last note precedence, you can do all the fast arpeggiated riffs by holding keys down, something that these old synths used to do and that last note precedence simply cannot achieve. Also, -mono is just an alias for '-voices 1'.

kind regards, nick

• Niklas Ramsberg

It worked for me too. Great!

Cheers,
        Niklas