Youtube upload settings for Max quality Audio

john grant
2017-02-23
2017-02-23
  • john grant

john grant - 2017-02-23

Nice program. Works beautifullly.

Youtube: the Audio component......

Now that YouTube is recommending ACC-LC format for uploads, the question arises---for the BEST AUDIO end result: What bit rate (512, 256, 128)? What resolution (16 bits)? What sample rate (96k, 48k, 41k)?

Obviously these variables are downgraded in Youtube's own conversion process, but what are the optimal settings to maximize the quality of Youtube's final result. (The video component is periferally important for present purposes, except insofar as it affects the quality of the audio.)

• Robert Kausch

Robert Kausch - 2017-02-28

I'd say you should ask this question to YouTube.

They actually answer it in a pretty detailed way already: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171

So, use 48 or 96 kHz and a bitrate of 384 kbps for Stereo, 128 kbps for Mono. The bit depth/resolution does not really matter, as AAC as a lossy format does not have a strictly defined bit depth. Most (all?) codecs use an input/output resolution of 16 bits, so that should be fine.

• john grant

john grant - 2017-02-28

Thanks, Robert. Useful heads up on bit depth/resolution targets. The significance of the "384" kbps target has always eluded me. Most conversion programs target 320 kbps. In fact, I've yet to see a program that offers the magic kbps of "384." I'm no pro on this stuff, but I'm guessing that 384 is the current Youtube "target" and is based on Youtube's estimate of the bandwidth limitations of the end-user or "average Youtube uploader."

• Robert Kausch

Robert Kausch - 2017-02-28

Honestly, I think AAC @ 384 kbps for Stereo is overkill. AAC is usually transparent (i.e. indistiguishable from the original) at 256 kbps, for most people even at 192 kbps. So go with 256 or 320 kbps and you'll be fine.