Menu

Using the DLS synth with BP3

2010-01-27
2013-05-08
  • Srikumar Subramanian

Hi all,

I just saw that a universal binary has been released on Jan 19th and downloaded it. I realized that I've used a MIDI setup without telling people here about it … since other posts say that the DLS synth cannot  be used.

You can use the DLS synth with BP3 and here's how.

1. The MidiPipe program can be used to connect BP3 to the DLS synth via the IAC bus. Download the MidiPipe program and install it first.

2. You need to then setup BP3 to send its MIDI commands to the IAC bus.
          a. From the "Devices" menu in BP3, select "Open Audio MIDI Setup"
          b. Double-click the "IAC Driver" icon
          c. Make sure that the "Device is online" checkbox is checked and that the "Ports" column lists "Bus 1".

3. You now need to connect the IAC "Bus 1" to the DLS synth.
          a. Open the MidiPipe program. Note that you'll need to leave MidiPipe running alongside BP3.
          (The "Pipes" column on the right should be empty.)
          b. Drag the "Midi In" device from the left column to the "Pipes" column on the right. When you select "Midi In" in the "Pipes" column, you should see "IAC Driver - Bus 1" selected in the "MIDI Input" drop-down box.
          c. Scroll down to find the "DLS Synth" device in the left column and drag that to the "Pipes" column as well.
          Now you're sending the MIDI messages coming to the input of the IAC bus 1 (from the point of view of MidiPipe) to the DLS Synth.

4. Select "MIDI check output" from BP3's "Devices" and click on the "1" button to send a test tune to MIDI channel 1.

You should hear a piano tune playing.

Happy BP-ing :)

• Anthony Kozar

Anthony Kozar - 2010-01-27

Hello Srikumar!

Thanks for trying out the latest BP2 release and thanks for your informative post about MidiPipe!

MidiPipe looks like a very  useful program for much more than just playing the DLS synth too.  I am looking forward to trying out some of its routing, filtering, and retuning capabilities.  Maybe it will save me the trouble of writing my own just intonation retuning Midi program :)

I believe that the SimpleSynth program that we recommend on the web site for BP also uses the DLS synth by default.  But it is good to have options, so I will add a link to MidiPipe when I get a chance.

Thanks and take care!

Anthony