Suggestions

2012-04-05
2013-05-29
  • Daniel Soto

Daniel Soto - 2012-04-05

Some improvements:

1) If you like to enable SFTP support then: copy file "/usr/libexec/sftp-server" from a dd-wrt router, and "voilà!" you can do scp from outside to your BitSwitcher router. I suggest also to install the dropbear plugin for a better SSH version.

2) If you have problems with some ssh clients when you connect to the router, the problem is the welcome file: edit the file "/etc/issue.net" and remove all!

3) I hope that in the next version some commands will be added to the busybox version of the firmware: more, find, rmdir, traceroute, reboot, gzip, tar, killall, which, hostname, zcat, sendmail, rx, etc. Why they are stripped from the stock firmware? Please, consider to add it in the next compilation of the firmware!

4) Some additional tools that I suggest to add: htop, ldd, sz, uuencode, etc. In general, "ipkg-opt" support for install more tools (over CIFS or NFS client).

I found this firmware awesome, but more improvements will be great!

• TOMOK10

TOMOK10 - 2012-04-09

Hi,

I’m running BS 0.3.10-prebuilt without additional software:

- ‚dropbear’:  is running (‚ps’ -à ‚/bin/dropbear’)
    - winSCP->BS:   fully functional

- ‚reboot’:      command is available
    - ‚killall’:      command is available

- ‚issue.net’: ‚services/ssh/use issue’ -> ‚off’ (no need to edit)

BTW:
    Thanks for your extended ‚index.cgi’ (+ DSL ‚upload/download’ in ‚home’).
    http://sourceforge.net/support/tracker.php?aid=3515746

best regards

• Daniel Soto

Daniel Soto - 2012-04-09

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback about my patches. I hope the main developers will add them to the main branch.

Related to my suggestions:

* Now, I know the "issue.net" option in the GUI. A very good solution to the problem!

* SFTP: Yes, SCP works; and WinSCP can do the work using the "SCP mode" (list directories with a SSH shell, and copy files with SCP). But a full support for SFTP can be very interesting (mainly for "mount" for a remote machine the filesystem using ssh). I suggest to compile the "sftp-server" and put it as an optional download.

* BUSYBOX commands: Now I'm using 0.3.9_Annex_A firmware. I'm happy if the next version will include "reboot" and "killall". But why not include the following?

- More: Yes, "less" is available, but for simple listing "more" is required.
    - Traceroute: In a "router" this tool is a high requirement.
    - Rmdir: "rm -rf" can do the same, but a Unix shell without it is anonying.
    - Which & Find: In a development environment these tools are very practical.
    - Tar, Gzip & Zcat: Very common tools.
    - Related to other tools: I can survive without them!

* IPKG-OPT: Somebody wants to add support for this tool to run tools from 3rd party repositories?

Regards.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks