I've flip-flopped several times on what should be the next major feature in bemDB: a front-end (most likely in php) or a parser.
I've decided on concentrating on parsing through the 0.4 and 0.5 releases.
After parsing, I will look to implement a front-end through the 0.6 and 0.7 releases.
If you have thoughts or comments on this plan, please email me. And if you would like to contribute your time in documenting or developing any portion of bemDB, I'd be interested in hearing from you.
When running bemDB output through the HIPAADesk test engine (http://www.hipaadesk.com), a number output formatting bugs in bemDB were found.
Never fear, I'm well into finishing a fix release that will take care of these. It should be out in the next couple of days.
1. Element ST02 length is '1', minimum allowed length is '4'.
2. Element BGN03 is a date element. Expected format is 'CCYYMMDD'.
3. Element BGN03 length is '6', minimum allowed length is '8'.
4. Element INS08 is missing. It's required for subscriber (INS01='Y').
5. Segment DTP is missing. It's required when enrolling a member (INS03 = 021).
6. Element PER01 is missing. This element's standard option is 'Mandatory'.
7. Element HLH02 has a data type of 'Numeric'. Data includes non-numeric characters.
8. Element HLH03 has a data type of 'Numeric'. Data includes non-numeric characters.
9. One of REF 1-030, REF 2-020 or REF 2-290 (IL) should be used in Loop 2300 occurrence.
10. Element SE02 length is '1', minimum allowed length is '4'.
11. Element GS04 is a date element. Expected format is 'CCYYMMDD'.
12. Element GS08 is a coded list element. Code '004010X095' is not allowed.
13. Number of Transaction Sets Included (GE01) has a value of '2'. Expected value to be '1'.
14. Element GE02 is missing. This element's standard option is 'Mandatory'.
15. Element ISA13 has a data type of 'Numeric with implied decimal'. Data includes non-numeric characters.
16. Number of Included Functional Groups (IEA01) has a value of '2'. Expected value to be '1'.
17. Element IEA02 is missing. This element's standard option is 'Mandatory'.
18. Value of element PER04 is incorrect. Expected value is Telephone number (format is '10 digits') when PER03='HP'. ... read more
bemDB is a database for storing benefit enrollment and maintenance information for group health plans. It strives to be HIPAA 834 compliant.
HIPAA stands for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. It dictates that all electronic health insurance transactions follow EDI standards as dictated by the Department of Health and Human Services by October, 2003. The 834 transaction set is for benefit enrollment and maintenance.... read more
The 0.2.x series contains updates to output all situational segments in the 834 transaction set.
It also includes database triggers to write an audit log of coverage and sponsored member changes in preparation of creation of 834 change file in the 0.3 series of releases.
HIPAA stands for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. It mandates the use of certain EDI transaction sets in the healthcare industry for healthcare sponsors, providers and clearing houses that transmit data electronically.
The initial release of bemDB offers a relational dabase to store member, sponser, and payer data, and the functions necessary to generate a HIPAA compatible 834 Benefit Enrollment and Maintenance EDI transaction set.