Menu

lplex fork under progress

Fab Nicol
2016-08-16
2018-03-28
  • Fab Nicol

Fab Nicol - 2016-08-16

Hi there,

• I'm currently forking lplex, which has not been under (public) development for about four years now.

Basically I'm clearing the code of wxWidgets dependencies and smoothing it out for integration with dvda-author, which I've been working on again for a few weeks. This will considerably facilitate maintenance and building, as issues have come up with latest versions (3+) of wxWidgets, not to mention the new C++ ABI. Minor features (like picture resizing) could be set aside as a result. Currently lplex does not build under g++-+6.1 (namespace issues) or wxWidgets-3+ (interface issues).

The fork will remain separated from dvda-author however and clearly identified as such (with due reference to the original writer). Release is expected about late Sept.

This said, is aval57 still around? The better option would be for the fork to stem from latest available code. In the absence of a public repository I'll use the package confidentially sent to me for integration to dvda-author. Updates would be welcomed.

• Does anymone know of any nix distribution including lplex as a maintained package? dvda-author has been packaged by a (at least) Gentoo and FreeBSD (without the lplex-related dvd-hybrid capabilities and in obsolete versions). I consider integrating the fork to these distributions so that dvd-hybrid authoring may be available to dvda-author when the bugfix part of my dvda-work is over. This is due late autumn with a GUI frontend common to both apps.

• User/maintainer feedback appreciated.

Best,

Fabrice Nicol

Last edit: Fab Nicol 2016-08-16
  • xulama

xulama - 2017-07-05

Hello, wondering if progress has been made. I'm very interested in testing lplex gui. Thank you for your ongoing work. -amalux

• Fab Nicol

Fab Nicol - 2018-03-26

Fork is doing well and should be pre-released around late May 2018 or perhaps earlier.
    Dependencies to wxWidgets have been removed using the experimental filesystem module of C++1z.
    Unless Bahman Negahban, the original author, expresses explicit reservations, the fork will be integrated to the dvd-audio tools project (https://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net) which is undergoing extensive revision (in the git code repository) and should come to completion in the month of June.
    Fabrice Nicol

• Fab Nicol

Fab Nicol - 2018-03-28

The legacy code no longer builds under current nix platforms.
    As a preliminary step, I patched the original code for minimal maintenance.
    The patched code now builds again (Ubuntu 17.10/g++ 7.2 or 7.3, wxWidgets local build 2.9.5)
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/dvd-audio/files/lplex/