Menu

LWO file format and multi UV

2009-04-20
2013-06-03
  • Andrej Levenski

Andrej Levenski - 2009-04-20

Is this ok that LWO importer doesn't read multi UV texture cordinates?
    Always read only first set. Or do I need to do special care before saving LWO file?

I was also tested X file with multitexture cordinates and also doesn'n working. I think that importer can't
    do proper FVF data section reading as D3DX (DXSDK) importer. For example Max Panda exporter working ok and write texture cordinates to FVF data section.

For what format Assimp can import multi UV (needed for lightmapping)? Maybe ASE?
    AFAIK, ASE is loading properly vertex colors but I'm not shure for multi UV.

• Alexander Gessler

Hi,

the LWO importer should import multiple UV texture coordinates as long as they're used by at least one texture. If it doesn't, it's definitely a bug and I'd greatly appreciate if you could send me the file over.

ASE should work. Again, multiple UV channels haven't been tested extensively.
      Oh, and IRRMESH supports two UVs too but there are almost no exporters available.

>> I was also tested X file with multitexture cordinates and also doesn'n working.

Hm .. I don't think the x loader supports multiple UVs yet.

- Alex

• Alexander Gessler

Oh, I forgot: the viewer won't display multiple UVs correctly. If Assimp still doesn't work for you, you could try building assimp_cmd and let it generate xml dumps of the imported data.

• Andrej Levenski

This is not a problem because I have own file format and viewer. My format supports multi UV and multi color channels. I'm using assimp as importer and then I'm write data to my format and everything works ok.
      We just need to get proper settings for LWO so that scene->mMeshes[i]->HasTextureCoords(1) return true :)
      We will try to assing some texture to second texture cordinate set and then try to convert it.

LWO importer support single or multi color channels?

• Andrej Levenski

Ok multi UV with LWO file is tested now and works great. Some texture need to be assigned.

• Alexander Gessler

Hi,

I did some major modifications to the LWO loader to make it easier to use.

The old implementation rejected VMAPs (UVs, Vertex colors) if they weren't referenced by a material. This had the advantage that the visual result was absolutely identical to LightWave's own rendering, but the disadvantage that it's you had to insert dummy textures, import of multiple vertex color wasn't possible.

Gone now. New strategy is to import as many channels as possible (up to the limit of 4), where explicitly referenced VMAPs are imported with higher priority and placed in the first UV/Color channel. Condition that a channel is imported for a particular submesh is that at least one point of the mesh defines a non-default value for the channel (e.g. an all-black vertex color set won't be imported).

A little warning, though. I just implemented this and checked it in but I didn't test exhaustively. Would be great if you and all other LWO fans reading these forums could give it a try and give feedback whether it works as intended :-)

Alex

• Andrej Levenski

Andrej Levenski - 2009-04-21

Ok I will update to latest version and give exporter to my artist to make the test.

What is situation with MODO model ( *.lxo ) regarding multi UV and color?

• Alexander Gessler

Bad. MODO materials are not imported at all due to the lack of proper documentation (rest of LXO is identical to LWO). If you have a proper source, let me know.

I'm always scared of getting into legal trouble for reverse engineering of undocumented stuff, that's why I didn't invest any further work :-)

PS: Modo should be able to export to proper LWO (surely, it's the same dev team).

• Alexander Gessler

PPS:
      With yesterday's changes multiple UVs and colors should indeed be imported, but no materials. Modo is the only of the hude modelers to which I don't have access to so I can't test it except with some free files.

• Andrej Levenski

Andrej Levenski - 2009-04-21

I think that this version is much better. For now converts LWO without error.
      In last version in few cases importer didn't calculate tangents and bitangens.
      Now everything is detected properly and I don't need to set texture to import second texture cordinates.

Great work ;)

But, what order is now of multi UV, by name or by order of creation?

• Alexander Gessler

Output order is currently by appearance in the file, so I guess it's also order of creation in LW. UVs referenced by a surface are equally ordered but always in front of not referenced UVs.

Problem is that Assimp doesn't know the concept of named UV channels. Lexical ordering by name would be a possible solution to overcome this issue. Would you prefer it this way? I don't care.

Alex

PS: I'll start a wiki/extra doc to document all these details soon.

• Andrej Levenski

Andrej Levenski - 2009-04-22

I think that this version is much better. For now converts LWO without error.
      In last version in few cases importer didn't calculate tangents and bitangens.
      Now everything is detected properly and I don't need to set texture to import second texture cordinates.

Great work ;)

But, what order is now of multi UV, by name or by order of creation?

• Andrej Levenski

Andrej Levenski - 2009-04-22

One more question. Why on some of the models UV gets mess up, but in lightwave look ok. When I export to X and render in my engine everything is ok,
      but when I export to my format I get that error. Your viewer also display same error as my viewer and mesh format.
      I get strange very repeating seams at some polygon edges.

These are falgs that I'm using:
      aiProcess_Triangulate       
      aiProcess_ValidateDataStructure    
      aiProcess_ImproveCacheLocality     
      aiProcess_RemoveRedundantMaterials   
      aiProcess_SortByPType           
      aiProcess_FindDegenerates            
      aiProcess_FindInvalidData           
      aiProcess_TransformUVCoords
      aiProcess_MakeLeftHanded
      aiProcess_GenSmoothNormals
      aiProcess_JoinIdenticalVertices (maybe this is a problem because importer weld some vertices that are not 100% same)
      aiProcess_CalcTangentSpace
      aiProcess_SplitLargeMeshes
      aiProcess_GenUVCoords
      aiProcess_FlipUVs
      aiProcess_FlipWindingOrder

For multi UV, order is important because, if necessary, We need ability to change UV order in LightWave.
      But if this is a order of creation this can be a problem.
      Lightwave can only change name of UV but not order. If I change name in LW I get different order but not
      different order in export.

If I have channels like this
      UV01
      UV02
      (AFAIK) they will be exported as
      UV01 and
      UV02

but if I rename UV01 to UV02 and 02 to 01
      order in lw will be
      UV01 (old 02)
      UV02 (old 01)

but again they will be exported as
      UV01 (old 01)
      UV02 (old 02)

Is that true? My test shows me that.

My format looks like this:

<texturecoords index="0" type="uv">...</texturecoords>
      <texturecoords index="1" type="uv">...</texturecoords>

and I can switch that index and everything will work ok but it's hard to do that every time.
      To me, it's same that UV is order by name or some other value but it's important that artis can change order directly in LW so that
      new order reflect in importer.
      If this is not possible I will think of something in my converter.

• Andrej Levenski

Andrej Levenski - 2009-04-23

Ok, different order is tested now. UV can be swaped in Lightwave. Just need to change names and LW will sort them in new order by names and
      then importer will recognize that so you don't need to do anything with that issue.
      But still, I have a problem with corrupted UVs. Sometimes is corrupted first Diffuse or second lightmap UV.
      It depends to order of UVs. But always is one wrong.
      A hope that invert of UV isn't a problem (aiProcess_FlipUVs)? I need it for DX engine and maybe you invert just one (e.g. first channel) and second one not.
      So always one has an error and wrong representation.

• Andrej Levenski

Andrej Levenski - 2009-04-23

It looks like that second UV map (second in lightwave list) will have error. Did you forget to do something with second UV :)?
      If you (Alexander) like, I can send you one of the meshes that gets wrong import.

• Alexander Gessler

>> If you (Alexander) like, I can send you one of the meshes that gets wrong import.

Yes, i'd greatly appreciate that :-) In my tests all UV sets were converted correctly.

• Andrej Levenski

Andrej Levenski - 2009-04-26

Ok, check your e-mail now. I sent you mesh, lightmap, textures, screenshots of error and mesh in my XML format.
      If you open it in LWO you will see that everything is ok but after my import/export or in assimp view I get strange UV patterns.

• Andrej Levenski

Andrej Levenski - 2009-04-27

Ah wrong spelled mail :)
      OK, now check your gmx.net mail.

• Alexander Gessler

Ok, I got your mail now, I'll take a look this evening.

Alex

• Andrej Levenski

Andrej Levenski - 2009-05-05

No news with multi UV and LW?

• Alexander Gessler

Sorry for being late, I was kept busy the last few days.

I think the UV seams are evaluated correctly now, although I'm not *absolutely* sure. Fontain.lwo looks like this: http://assimp.sourceforge.net/tmp/beautifulback.png.

Bye,
      Alex

• Andrej Levenski

Andrej Levenski - 2009-05-05

Ok, this seems fine. I will check now latest assimp version with my exporter.

• Andrej Levenski

Andrej Levenski - 2009-05-06

Now importer and my exporter works fine.
      Good work ;)

Thanks