Menu

Set a template?

Help
pencilart
2023-01-13
2023-01-13
  • pencilart

pencilart - 2023-01-13

When I tried that out, it wanted some types of files like, svg or gif or jpg.
    I thought I had to use an AOI file for a template?

• Pete

Pete - 2023-01-13

That is the "Set Template Image" under the View menu, not a modelling template. It is a bit misleading to call it "Template", because it is actually just adds a backdrop image to the active view.

I think the original idea was that you could sketch you model over it. Unfortunately the image does not fit itself to the view size or modelling space in any way, it is drawn there directly pixel per pixel and it is also forgotten at shut-down. So not very useful, but in some ways it is an ancestor to the "Reference Image" object that you can find in Object/Primitives menu.

Some time ago there was some discussion about removing the out dated Template Image property entirely but I wanted to keep it for a while. My plan was to develop something more useful out of it but ... hmmm... Got to collect my thoughts on that... :D -- It was probably making it a part of the Theme system, so you could have a soft shaded background on the views instead just a solid color.

Last edit: Pete 2023-01-13