Menu

Voxel attempt

pencilart
2014-03-07
2014-03-15
  • pencilart

pencilart - 2014-03-07

I just installed 3.0 and I'm playing around with it and tried the "convert to Voxel object" tool. I am a bit disappointed about it because when I tried to edit the object in its editor, everything in the window disappears when I move my mouse cursor over it.

See this:  photo Screenshot51_zpsf501c2a2.png

The way I used it was to create a polymesh object then used the tool, and left the voxel size to the default setting. I have also tried doing this with an object that I had made into a boolean and set the voxel size for 0.10. Both have the same results.

Here is the log info:

page 1:

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: artofillusion.math.Vec3.equals(Lartofillusion/math/Vec3;)Z
    at artofillusion.rodin.VoxelObjectViewer.updateImage(VoxelObjectViewer.java:92)
    at artofillusion.view.SoftwareCanvasDrawer.paint(SoftwareCanvasDrawer.java:97)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at buoy.internal.EventLinkRecord.dispatchEvent(EventLinkRecord.java:81)
    at buoy.event.EventSource.dispatchEvent(EventSource.java:140)
    at buoy.widget.Widget.dispatchEvent(Widget.java:326)

Reported 10 time(s).

Page 2:

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: artofillusion.math.Vec3.equals(Lartofillusion/math/Vec3;)Z
    at artofillusion.rodin.VoxelObjectViewer.updateImage(VoxelObjectViewer.java:92)
    at artofillusion.view.SoftwareCanvasDrawer.paint(SoftwareCanvasDrawer.java:97)
    at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor67.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at buoy.internal.EventLinkRecord.dispatchEvent(EventLinkRecord.java:81)
    at buoy.event.EventSource.dispatchEvent(EventSource.java:140)
    at buoy.widget.Widget.dispatchEvent(Widget.java:326)
    at buoy.widget.CustomWidget$CustomWidgetComponent.paintComponent(CustomWidget.java:102)

Reported 399 time(s).

My system is Windows 8.1 64 bit, I have java 64 bit installed (as well as the 32 bit version for my web browser and for other software that might require it), and AMD A6-4455M APU Graphics 2.10 GHz, and 6 Gigs of memory.

So, what did I do wrong?

Last edit: pencilart 2014-03-07
  • Peter Eastman

Peter Eastman - 2014-03-08

Did you just copy over the plugins from your old install rather than reinstalling them through the SPManager? 3.0 needs a different version of the plugin.

Peter

• pencilart

pencilart - 2014-03-08

Peter,
      I used the Scripts and plugins manager and downloaded/installed them. I did reuse a couple of scripts and plugins though: the one that changes the default environment color to my preferred blue, show entire scene, and one other one (I'm not on my computer right now so I can't check which one).

• Luke S

Luke S - 2014-03-08

So, what did I do wrong?

Nothing. The error is due to a change that Peter made in AOI core a couple of versions back... (He was actually correcting a bug...)

And apparently, no one has tried Rodin since. All that needs to be done is to re-compile against the latest AOI, and drop the new file in the repository. I've actually done this on my home machine, and it works, but I have not been able to get the tool icons to be included with the .jar, so the editor looks a little funky.

(HELP! I'm trying to create a build file from scratch, and am not sure what I need to do to fix this!)

EDIT: @Peter: Sorry for the over-talk. The version in the repository (At least when I checked this evening) must have been compiled agains an older version, because it causes @pencilart's error for me as well.
    @Nik: Another case that would be prevented by that automatic build system we talked about a while back...

Last edit: Luke S 2014-03-08
  • Pete

Pete - 2014-03-08

Well actually I have tried, but I have been under the impression, that Rodin has not been developed/updated for a long time and it wouldn't be expected to work with the current AoI core any more. Anyway, the same behaviour here.

The latest available version is v0.3 from 2010. When it still was working, it used to get very slow pretty soon as the model started to have any character.... Something to do with the data structure, I believe?

And now that we are at it a couple of comments:
    - The "Convert to Voxel Object" is in the Tools menu. Shouldn't it belong to the Object menu instead? At least the other "Convert"s are there.
    - Currently the Rodin icon does not appear on the left panel at all either. That's probably why I did not even know that it was present, so it's not possible to create a voxel object without creating something else first and then converting.

@Luke: Try putting the icons into the jar by a zip-program. At least I was able to add a translation (properties) file that way. (And why not put your now working version somewhere public? ;) )

• Luke S

Luke S - 2014-03-08

@Pete: Here ya go. I got the icon files copied properly (Just tweaked my build file - the settings I was using were putting the files in the wrong place, so the plugin couldn't find them.)

Rodin still does get slow when editing a detailed model.

• The "Convert to Voxel Object" is in the Tools menu. Shouldn't it belong to the Object menu instead? At least the other "Convert"s are there.

Good point - may look at this later. (Unless Peter decides to comment)

I'll not post source at this time, as I didn't change any source - its all in the repository.

Last edit: Luke S 2014-03-08
  • Peter Eastman

Peter Eastman - 2014-03-08

Oh dear - I hadn't realized it was that out of date. Sorry about that! I'll try to get a new build posted today.

Peter

• Peter Eastman

Peter Eastman - 2014-03-09

Ok, I've posted version 0.31. It's identical to 0.3, but recompiled to work with AoI 3.0.

Next will be to see what I can do about speed. That will probably require rethinking how it renders the object.

Peter

• Pete

Pete - 2014-03-10

SPM finds it and it works -- though without the "Start from scratch" option.

I'm just wondering, where the SPM gets the file as I can not see in https://sourceforge.net/projects/aoisp/files/?source=navbar ? The old source is in https://sourceforge.net/p/aoisp/code/HEAD/tree/ but that was unchanged, so I was not expecting it to change.

There seems to be something, that I'm missing about the file delivery system?

• Luke S

Luke S - 2014-03-11

@pete: I don't recall rodin ever having a start from scratch option? Perhaps I am wrong.

SPManager does not look for the source code of a plugin. The .jar files are found:

http://aoisp.sourceforge.net/AoIRepository/

The jars are put there manually by Peter and/or Nik. Other than bumping the version number, there should have been no code change for rodin, so no updates in the source repo.

• Pete

Pete - 2014-03-12

Well, I did not remember it all the way right myself: There never was an icon in the buttons panel on the left, but in the first version(s) of Rodin (at AoI 2.7.x) the function in the tools menu was "Create a Voxel Object". It created a voxel sphere on the scene.

I had forgotten the address of the repository -- though, that is modestly mentioned in http://www.artofillusion.org/links. :)

• pencilart

pencilart - 2014-03-14

I updated the Rodin plugin as Peter mentioned and guess what! It works now!!
    See my happy screenshot...

• Peter Eastman

Peter Eastman - 2014-03-14

Yay! Now I just need to make it much much faster.

Peter

• pencilart

pencilart - 2014-03-14

Seems fast to me.
    BTW, are there any tutorials on using this great plugin?

• Peter Eastman

Peter Eastman - 2014-03-15

It depends on the size and complexity of your object. It slows down much more than I'd like for high resolution objects.

I don't know of any tutorials on it yet.

Peter