Menu

Performance: Time out

tiger
2007-02-11
2013-04-22
  • tiger

tiger - 2007-02-11

Greetings,

I got timeout exceptions when tried to enter "anne" which is in That.aiml of the annotated aimls.

The log file shows something like this for every file in the annotated file list:
    2/11/2007 10:53:10 AM: WARNING! Request timeout. User: consoleUser raw input: "RANDOM PICKUP LINE" processing template:.....

Any idea?
    jw

• Nicholas Tollervey

Hi jw,

Thanks (again) for the bug report. I've managed to re-create your problem and discovered that it is caused by a category in the Pickup.aiml file (with the pattern "RANDOM PICKUP LINE").

The quick fix is to change this file so the category matching as described above is something a lot less complicated - e.g. a simple collection of random chat-up lines.

I will look at this bug as my code is getting into an infinite loop - I need to discover where and for what reason. I won't be able to do this until Wednesday but I'll try to squash this (and a couple of other bugs) and make a release by the end of the week.

Once again, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Nicholas

• tiger

tiger - 2007-02-20

Nicholas,
      Please let me know this is fixed.  I'd like to show a quick prototype to someone after this bug fix.
      Best,
      JW

• Nicholas Tollervey

Hi JW,

I've been snowed under with work (and will be for the foreseeable future). As a result, the next release of AIMLBot is only half complete. I hope to be able to spend some time on it at the weekend - but I won't release until I've tested the changes and am happy with the result. Put simply: I don't want to release a quick untested hack that might end up biting me in the bum at a later stage. I'm aiming for a release sometime next week.

However, I see no reason not to go ahead with your prototype demonstration: the bot seems to work well if the pickup.aiml file is not loaded into the memory. If you really do need to use the categories in pickup.aiml then replace the "RANDOM PICKUP LINE" category with the following:

<category>
      <pattern>RANDOM PICKUP LINE</pattern>
      <template>
      <random>
      <li>So, what's a nice bot like you doing in a place like this then?</li>
      <li>I love meeting new people on the Internet... do you like meeting new people?</li>
      <li>Wow, don't you think this is so cool that we can chat like this?</li>
      <li>Isn't modern natural language processing technology wonderful?</li>
      </random>
      </template>
      </category>

Obviously, adapt to your needs :-)

I hope this helps,

Nicholas