Menu

Interface

Lachlan M
2001-09-17
2001-10-29
  • Lachlan M

Lachlan M - 2001-09-17

Seems to be the appropriate place to post this.

Who has played Star Craft? and Also CnC?

notice the different ways of commanding your units?

what should we use? a task bar style like CnC or a command style, multi function display? Or a combination? or one that pops up when it needs too or a clear control system with a few buttons?

first I suppose we should figure out what commands the command bar has to give but its something to think about.

• Anthony

Anthony - 2001-09-20

I have played both and I heavily favor C&C with a little better organization applied to the sidebar (cascading menus).

Back at ya:
      Ever play Mechcommander?  It had a very refined version of a C&C interface, without build options.
      Ever play Battlezone?  It had a clean, efficient interface too.  I'd gun for a combination.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2001-09-20

I favour shogun-style and regiments, but this is all easy to customise.  Maybe the 'WORLD' file should have a 'ui-style=' tag with some general categories like 'CNC', 'MECHCOMMANDER' and 'SHOGUN' etc along with 'grouping-allowed=' and 'grouping-required=' tags too, so that the mod maker chooses the most appropriate style for their mod.

• Lachlan M

Lachlan M - 2001-09-27

no I havn't played either.

I suppose we could make the interface skinnable? like many programs around like winamp and even MS's windows media player.

• Haydn

Haydn - 2001-09-22

I favour grouping with good formation control or better still the ability to 'plan' attacks before the move (that would be difficult in real time but I have thoughts on assigning waypoints which will only be 'activated' on specific command allowing you to lay out 'battleplans').
      Anyway, the manner of the human players unit control and the AI player is a completley different issue. I favour 'set-piece' computer attacks etc...

• Olaf van der Spek

What about Total Annihilation? I think we should use that interface.

Or at least allow different interfaces, kinda like different window managers for X.

• Lachlan M

Lachlan M - 2001-10-29

Suggestion: ALL

Take or find a screen shot of you prefered interface. load it into paint (or similar) and circle the bits you like, etc and give suggest (if any) on how to improve. then we take ideas from all (or some at least) on what should be used. Then upload the files to the web site or email the pics to me or Will and we'll get them up.

Main reason for this is we havn't all seen how all the mentioned games handle interface.

seee how we go now,
      Lachlan