Abbot hangs when doing Captures

Developers
Vipul
2003-12-15
2003-12-16
  • Vipul

Vipul - 2003-12-15

Hello,

I am a new user of Abbot. I launch it directly using the command prompt (to test my GUI applicaton), and then give the classpath and class name to launch the application.

The application is launched, but when I select the Capture -> All Actions and then click on the application, then Abbot and my application hangs. In the command window it displays,

: java.lang.NullPointerException (caught at  abbot.script.EventExceptionHandler.exceptionCaught(EventExceptionHandler.java:2
    abbot.script.EventExceptionHandler.exceptionCaught(EventExceptionHandler.java:23): Unexpected exception while dispatching e
    Exception thrown at  java.applet.Applet.getDocumentBase(Unknown Source)
            at abbot.script.ComponentReference.<init>(ComponentReference.java:239)
            at abbot.script.ComponentReference.<init>(ComponentReference.java:220)
            at abbot.script.Script.addComponent(Script.java:615)
            at abbot.script.ComponentReference.resolve(ComponentReference.java:277)
            at abbot.script.ComponentReference.<init>(ComponentReference.java:257)
            at abbot.editor.ScriptEditor.addComponent(ScriptEditor.java:2162)
            at abbot.script.Event.<init>(Event.java:50)
            at abbot.editor.recorder.EventRecorder.captureRawEvent(EventRecorder.java:529)
            at abbot.editor.recorder.EventRecorder.eventDispatched(EventRecorder.java:501)
            at abbot.editor.recorder.Recorder.recordEvent(Recorder.java:84)
            at abbot.editor.ScriptEditor.processEvent(ScriptEditor.java:1933)
            at abbot.editor.ScriptEditor.access$2700(ScriptEditor.java:37)
            at abbot.editor.ScriptEditor$21.processEvent(ScriptEditor.java:1721)
            at abbot.util.SingleThreadedEventListener.eventDispatched(SingleThreadedEventListener.java:55)
            at abbot.util.EventNormalizer.eventDispatched(EventNormalizer.java:164)
            at java.awt.Toolkit$SelectiveAWTEventListener.eventDispatched(Unknown Source)
            at java.awt.Toolkit$ToolkitEventMulticaster.eventDispatched(Unknown Source)
            at java.awt.Toolkit$ToolkitEventMulticaster.eventDispatched(Unknown Source)
            at java.awt.Toolkit.notifyAWTEventListeners(Unknown Source)
            at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
            at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
            at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
            at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
            at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.trackMouseEnterExit(Unknown Source)
            at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
            at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
            at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
            at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
            at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
            at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
            at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
            at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
            at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
            at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Please can anyone help me in this and tell me why I am getting these exceptions. Do we need to do some settings in the Abbot.

Please Help.

Regards
    Vipul

• Timothy Wall

Timothy Wall - 2003-12-15

Are you using AppletViewer launched by Costello, or one of the Costello-as-applet variants that have been written by third parties?

Look at the stack trace.  A NullPointerException was thrown by java.applet.Applet, so you'll need to look at that source to figure out why the exception was thrown.

• Vipul

Vipul - 2003-12-16

No the developers are not using any applet. They call the main() to run the application.
        I run the Abbot using commandline and then just call the class, of the developers, that contains main(). I am not able to understand why this gives error as when I run the program without abbot, it is running fine.

• Timothy Wall

Timothy Wall - 2003-12-16

Look at the first line of your stack trace. 
          Exception thrown at  java.applet.Applet.getDocumentBase(Unknown Source)

Your code seems to think it's using an Applet.  Costello is attempting to use the document base as a distinguishing feature to tell one applet from the next.  I believe there was a bug a while ago that expected the document base to be non-null, but has since been fixed to allow for a null value.