Menu

ComparePlugin

2009-04-28
2012-11-13
  • Dennis Schneider

I just updated to 5.3.1 and found that the Compare plugin no longer works. I need it. What is the lastest version of Notebook++ that works with the Compare plugin?

Thanks in advance

• gary coast

gary coast - 2009-04-28

works for me using 5.1.2.0 - (I am in progress manually updating to 5.4rc ansi as I read this (so far I've always done updates by copying files - and I don't update very often) - hmmm should I stop)

however when I use compare (which is a critical plugin) I quit n++ afterwards and restart as the window draw gets screwed up

I think we need a new compare writer as that guy seems gone for a year now (while it does the most critical function very well, it needs attention)?

• gary coast

gary coast - 2009-04-28

I'm using compare plugin 5.1.1 which is supposedly from 2/22/08 which I guess is the latest not unicode. (I hope the author forgives me because I do not mean to demean at all - the engine on this thing has got to be absolutely brilliant).

• gary coast

gary coast - 2009-04-28

I went ahead and installed N++ 5.4rc ansi and now compare 5.1.1 does not work correctly - it finds a lot of the diffs but the two compare windows do not line up side by side - and it fails to highlight sections missing altogether in one file - and the windows/tabs now get rearranged so the starting left window is on the right and vice-versa - to name some of what is peculiar

dammit

• Thell Fowler

Thell Fowler - 2009-04-28

This may be a dumb question as I never use the N++ compare plugin ( opting instead for dedicated diff or total commander compare ), but is there something that the compare plugin does that another open source diff/compare app doesn't?

I ask only because it seems that if the orig author is gone, it may be better to integrate something from an active project...

• gary coast

gary coast - 2009-04-28

I think the author of compare updated for unicode late last year but I suspect otherwise he's dropped out and I get the feeling he's unlikely to be interested in keeping it up to date.

Since I've updated to 5.4 it's time to use another compare.  Recommendation for a dedicated compare?

• Thell Fowler

Thell Fowler - 2009-04-28

I have four different ways to view compares/diffs on my dev VM:

Total Commander, KDiff3, SourceGear DiffMerge, and WinMerge

KDiff gets used the most (on a per file basis), simply because that is what my version control is set to use...

I'd highly recommend checking out WinMerge right here on Sourceforge though:
        https://sourceforge.net/projects/winmerge/

• cchris

cchris - 2009-04-28

I confirm ComparePlugin v1.5.2 does work correctly in 5.4RC. Just tested between the default shortcuts.xml and my custom shortcuts.xml, which has got its share of hacking.

I'd try upgrading to 1.5.2. Then, check that your options (dtect moves, ignore spacing, align matches) are what you think. And not clearing the results does lead to strange display indeed.

CChris

• gary coast

gary coast - 2009-04-28

I'm now using WinMerge for my compare companion to N++.  I would much have preferred to use an integrated compare (can one use ComparePlugin 1.5.2 unicode with N++ (5.4RC) Ansi??? - or maybe I should just use the unicode version of N++ anyway as I'm not sure what I'll lose??).

WinMerge provides superior viewing of differences and one would be a lot less likely to miss something.

Christian: when I mentioned the display being messed up after use the comparePlugin, that included using "clear results" - which half worked as of n++ 5.1.2.  I remember when the display didn't get screwed up but I'm not sure which version started giving the problem.

• cchris

cchris - 2009-04-28

Works for me using 5.4RC unicode.

CChris

• gary coast

gary coast - 2009-04-28

I meant compare 1.5.1 (not 5.1.1)

dammit

• gary coast

gary coast - 2009-04-28

Thank you much.   I will check out WinMerge later today.