Menu

Scoping additions

2001-03-14
2001-03-23
  • Paul Cantrell

Paul Cantrell - 2001-03-14

The semantics now contains a first crack at scoping rules. The new additions are the elements-used function in S1.1, and all of S1.9.

Questions:
    - Does it make sense?
    - Are there any holes in the logic?
    - Am I ruling out some scoping construct
        we'll want in the future?

Paul

• Nick Weininger

Nick Weininger - 2001-03-15

I'm puzzled by the meaning of the rule for subelements
      of functions. Presumably you don't want the body of a function that is a
      public member of a class to be usable by anyone who can call the function...
      or do you?

Also, the public member scope rule is ambiguous for inherited members. If an
      element is a public member of class C, and inherited as a public
      member in the subclass D, is its scope the scope of C or that of D? This is
      important if C is a "standalone" class (superelement = null) and D is a
      private member class of some other class E. I think what you want is to make
      rules like "scope = null if super(e) = null" since superelements are
      unambiguous; but I could be wrong.

In any case, the "scope" function is named confusingly.
      scope(e) is "the entity or entities that e is in the scoping domain of". So the
      elements of scope(e) are, as you say, always going to be higher in the
      hierarchy than e. It would seem more natural to define scope(e) as a big set
      of "things in the scope of e" in such a way that you can state the semantic
      rule as "forall e in E, forall f in elements-used(e), f in scope(e)". That
      definition would probably be messy, though.

Alternatively, you could define the function as "scoping_domains" instead of
      "scope"; then your rule consists of the statement "for every element f used
      by e, one of the scoping domains of f must be a (super*)element of e", which
      sounds intuitively right to me. Then \emptyset corresponds to the global
      scoping domain, you have a private scoping domain for each capsule's private members, etc. Sorta like group permissions in UNIX.

And the above brings up a terminology issue: I think we need a term like
      "(super*)element of e" that means "in e's chain of superelements," analogous
      to "ancestor" generalizing "parent".

The basic idea looks right, though-- although a clearer view of how scoping fits into the rest of the semantics will have to await the coming of algorithmic semantics. I think your questions about "what does this unqualified name mean" and "do subclass overrides hide superclass elements" are actually going to be less important than one might think,
      because of representation-independence and fullname uniqueness-- the
      analogous questions in existing languages, to the extent I understand them,
      are really text-syntax questions as much as real semantic issues.        

• Paul Cantrell

Paul Cantrell - 2001-03-23

Ah, yes, a function's algorithm should be private, and the definition is ambiguous when phrased in terms of subelements.

I'm reworking the scoping with the new terminology we developed at the Eidola meeting.  Let's see if that helps clear things up a bit.