WinPython is a free open-source portable distribution of the Python programming language for Windows XP/7/8, designed for scientists, supporting both 32bit and 64bit versions of Python 2 and Python 3.
- Designed for regular scientific users: interactive data processing and visualization using Python with Spyder
- Designed for advanced scientific users and software developers: Python applications development with Spyder, version control with Mercurial and other development tools (like gettext, etc.)
- Portable: preconfigured, it should run out of the box on any machine under Windows (without any requirement) and the folder containing WinPython can be moved to any location (local, network or removable drive) with most of the application settings
- Flexible: one can install (or should I write "use" as it's portable) as many WinPython versions as necessary (like isolated and self-consistent environments), even if those versions are running different versions of Python (2.7, 3.x in the near future) or different architectures (32bit or 64bit) on the same machine
- Customizable: The integrated package manager (wppm, as WinPython Package Manager) helps installing, uninstalling or upgrading Python packages
- As WPPM may not support some packages, it's also possible to install or upgrade packages using easy_install or pip from the WinPython command prompt
- A configuration file allows to set environment variables at runtime
This is my favorite setup to work with Python on Windows! Love that you can choose between running it as a portable or register if you want.