Noteworthy changes in release 4.8 (2013-06-03)
* Changes in behavior
* In case of normal strace termination, when the trace output is
redirected to a pipe, strace now closes it and waits for the pipe
process termination before exit.
* Implemented tracing using PTRACE_SEIZE API (when available).
* Implemented more reliable PTRACE_GETREGSET-based process personality
detection on x86-64 and x32 (when available).
* Added -e trace=memory option for tracing memory mapping related syscalls.
* Documented -b option.
* Allowed exit status messages to be suppressed by giving -q option twice.
* Added AArch64 architecture support
(addresses Debian bug #693074 and Fedora bug #969858).
* Added support for OpenRISC 1000, Meta, and Xtensa architectures.
* Added tilegx personality support for Tile.
* Enhanced support of NOMMU architectures.
* Enhanced decoding of getdents, mmap, perf_event_open, ptrace, and
* Added new syscall entries to match Linux 3.9.
* Regenerated the list of common ioctl names from Linux 3.9.
* Updated the list of errno constants.
* Updated lists of AF_*, MADV_*, MAP_*, MSG_*, MS_*, PF_*, PR_*,
PTRACE_O_*, and TCP_* constants.
* Implemented decoding of UBI ioctls.
* Removed redundant "*32" ioctl names.
* Bug fixes
* Fixed ERESTARTNOINTR leaking to userspace on ancient kernels
(addresses Fedora bug #659382).
* Fixed kernel release string parsing
(addresses Debian bug #702309).
* Fixed decoding of *xattr syscalls
(addresses Fedora bug #885233).
* Fixed handling of files with 64-bit inode numbers by 32-bit strace
(addresses Fedora bug #912790).
* Fixed tracing forks on SPARC.
* Fixed decoding of fadvise64, fallocate, ftruncate64, io_submit, pread,
preadv, pwrite, pwritev, readahead, sigaltstack, sync_file_range, sysctl,
and truncate64 syscalls.
* Fixed categories of multiple syscalls on most of supported architectures.
* Fixed decoding of non-native 32-bit personality recv[m]msg syscalls.
* Fixed decoding of multiple 32-bit personality syscalls on x32.
* Fixed decoding of long long syscall arguments on ARM, MIPS/o32, PowerPC,
S390x, and Tile architectures.
* Fixed semtimedop decoding on S390x.
* Fixed sram_alloc decoding on Blackfin.
* Fixed build when process_vm_readv is a stab.
* Fixed build with older versions of libaio.h.