Menu

Python Interpreter Error with PyDev

Josh
2011-12-16
2013-03-15
  • Josh

Josh - 2011-12-16

Hi,
    This is my first email to this list, so I apologize if there's a better mailing-list for this type of question.

I'm looking to get started with python development, so I downloaded Python 3.2.2 and PyDev IDE for Eclipse.  When I go to configure my interpreter for a new python project, Windows gives me the following error:

"python.exe has stopped working"

and then Eclipse shows

"Error getting info on interpreter
    "See error log for details.
    No output was in the standard output when trying to create the interpreter info.
    The error output contains:>>Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: unable to load the file system codec
      File "C:\csvn\Python25\\lib\encodings\__init__.py", line 120
        raise CodecRegistryError,\
                                ^
    SyntaxError: invalid syntax

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
    Please contact the application's support team for more information.
    <<"

Does anybody have any idea what this means or what I'm doing wrong?  I've tried re-installing Python, but still can't get it to work.
    And again, if I'm in the wrong place, please direct me to the proper forum.

• Fabio Zadrozny

Fabio Zadrozny - 2011-12-16

Which PyDev version are you using?

The problem seems to be that it's mixing Python 3.2.2 (which you said you're configuring) and Python 2.5 (where the error appears).

I think this can happen if you have PYTHONROOT configured to Python 2.5 and are trying to execute Python 3.2 (because the docs say that the PYTHONROOT env will be added to the PYTHONPATH anyways, so, try closing eclipse, cleaning up your PYTHONROOT variable, restart Eclipse and see if it gets it right again).

If it still doesn't work, please report back posting more details on your environment variables.

Cheers,

Fabio

• Josh

Josh - 2011-12-16

Thanks Fabio!

looked at my environment variables, and the only one python related was PYTHONHOME, and that was set to C:\csvn\Python25.  So I changed that to C:\Python32\ and I added an environment variable for PYTHONROOT and set that to the same value.  It now seems to work!
    I must have had a some python directories laying around from an odd svn installation or something…

Thanks again!

• Jeremy Raven

Jeremy Raven - 2012-01-22

Im having the same problem I believe but Im using OSX on the mac. Does anyone have any idea as to which files I can change to get this working?

Many thanks

• Fabio Zadrozny

Fabio Zadrozny - 2012-01-25

If it's exactly the same problem, take a look at your PYTHONHOME environment variable and change it as needed (if it's not, please post the actual error you're having).

Cheers,

Fabio

• Jeremy Raven

Jeremy Raven - 2012-01-27

Its just a matter of finding out how to find the PYTHONHOME variable and changing it. I guess Ill keep looking, I think its something that should be done in a shell session.

• Jeremy Raven

Jeremy Raven - 2012-01-27

Thanks for that, it looks very promising I will check it out.