Googsystray Icon disappeared

Help
palimmo
2011-09-09
2013-04-25
  • palimmo

palimmo - 2011-09-09

Hello!

Happy Ubuntu 11.04 (Unity) user for several months.

From one day to another (perhaps in the meantime I did some general updates) Googsystray icon, which appears in the notification area (at least… I used to call it like this) when I receive e-mails, does not seem to work anymore.

- The Gmail account password is always the same one.
    - The application is properly present in the 'Startup Applications ", in fact I can see the process in the system monitor (Status: Sleeping?).
    - Alt-F2 -> D conf-editor -> Desktop -> unity -> panel
    in systray-whitelist the value is always  (in fact the Skype icon, for example, appears normally).

What's happening?

In the International Ubuntu Forum someone told me that recently, google stated on their gmail sign in page that that page was going to be changing somehow soon. now, going to the sign in page, it appears that the domain name is accounts.google.com rather than mail.google.com. i'm having issues with my gmail checker as well, not being able to sign in, and i'm fairly certain this is it.

Do you know how can we edit that address?

Many thanks!

• Ollie

Ollie - 2011-09-09

Just to confirm, on Windows XP here, the notifier has stopped working for both GMail and Google Reader. I still have the icons, as I have them set to display always, but it's not picking up any new items. I assume this is something Google has done that has broken it.

• palimmo

palimmo - 2011-09-10

Miracle!
    Now it works!
    :)

• Ollie

Ollie - 2011-09-10

Not here, it doesn't. I'm still getting nothing.

• Bill Cumming

Bill Cumming - 2011-09-10

Same problem here. not been picking up mail for nearly a week.
    since googsystray has not been updated in a year, think it's safe to say this is a dead project :(
    unless the owner puts the time in to fix this…

• palimmo

palimmo - 2011-09-11

Yes, it's true.
    It worked just for one day and now.. nothing! :(

• Spencer

Spencer - 2011-09-13

I know my log in to G mail kept saying that a new log in screen was coming soon, although I still don't have it.   I wonder if they have already made some kind of behind the scenes change that has changed how you log in to google. 

It's like googsystray just can't connect anymore. 

• Bill Cumming

Bill Cumming - 2011-09-13

they have a "preview new Login" link at the bottom of some of the login pages. (they did for my Google Apps login page)
    The new page is a bit cleaner and fresher, most of the changes are at the backend by the looks of it…

• Jim Duchek

Jim Duchek - 2011-09-14

Yes, I know everything is broken.  Yes, I'm working on it.

• Bill Cumming

Bill Cumming - 2011-09-14

Thanks Jim!!

i'm lost without it! lol

• Ronen Rozner

Ronen Rozner - 2011-09-15

yay!!!! googsystray became such an indispensable tool

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2011-10-05

Any chance that this will be going again soon or do we need to look for an alternative?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2011-10-08

If you do find a suitable alternative, please post, as I'm anxious to have a working notifier again … it's been a while now.

• Ollie

Ollie - 2011-10-08

I'm currently using GMail Notifier Pro (http://www.gmailnotifier.se/), which works as a notifier for GMail and Google Reader (can also do Google Calendar, as well as Hotmail and Yahoo Mail, but you can only add two services to the free version). Only one systray icon, though, which shows the unread GMail count. Includes a mini-mail-and-Reader client. It's pretty good, but all I really need is unread counts in the systray for both GMail and Reader, so GoogSysTray fits the bill better for me (or will if/when it gets a new working version).

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2011-10-10

Thanks, olliebean, that'll work for me for now (I mainly needed the audio notification, but it's quite configurable in a number of ways).  Hopefully, googsystray will get resurrected and working again, but this'll do for now.  :-)