Menu

Setting up as I-gate

Anonymous
2013-10-18
2014-12-29
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2013-10-18

I have set up as an I-gate only to find over 73000 messages received from the internet in less then 24 hours.

How can I setup as an I-gate to only receive from the radio and transmit to the internet? I would like to report APRS to the internet without receiving 1000s of message from the internet.

• KB3IUU

KB3IUU - 2013-10-19

Sorry about the anonymous
      I did not have a sourceforge account when I asked this question

Denny KB3IUU

• Andrew Pavlin

Andrew Pavlin - 2014-08-14

Easiest way is to not specify an explicit filter on your I-gate port. Then YAAC will only receive traffic from the Internet that is destined for your station or a station that you are I-gating to the Internet.

The APRS-IS servers assume that, if you are connected to the Internet and serving RF stations to it, that you are prepared to send return traffic to those stations. The backbone really doesn't understand Rx-only I-gates.

• John

John - 2014-12-29

There was one server, Toronto?, which was flooding me whereas the others were not, so I simply blocked it in my router. Make sure you set up a distance (say 75 miles) when you configure YAAC (General tab?).

To use APRS to its full potential, bi-directional transmit & receive IGates are required.

• Andrew Pavlin

Andrew Pavlin - 2014-12-29

Note that, even if you are being flooded by the APRS-IS server you are connected to (either deliberately by filter choice or accidentally), YAAC shouldn't flood your local RF; the rules for Tx I-gating is to only transmit traffic for stations your I-gate can hear on RF (or recent position reports for stations sending directed messages to stations your station can hear on RF). If you have discovered that YAAC is broken in this regard, I would like to hear about it ASAP so I can fix it.

• John

John - 2014-12-29

Yeah, the RF side was fine. Just tons of traffic on the network side. Wasn't a YAAC problem that I know off since only one of the servers was acting that way.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Add attachments
Cancel