Patrick C ran into a snag. I compress the discussion:
Having read the Wordcorr 2! new announcement, and being the first-time user that I am, I downloaded the "install" and the "upgrade" files to install.

Starting the installation yielded a Java error, which is impenetrable to me as an end-user... Others have said it looks like there's some sort of missing library or somewhat... (I've the most recent J2RE 1.4.2_06 installed...)

I replied:
With a JRE already installed, you might have guessed that the "upgrade" file would find it. Our installer isn't that smart. Try installing the "install" version, which puts its own copy of the JRE in a place where it can find it.

And before you activate Wordcorr, use Start, Search to find a folder called .wordcorr (DOTwordcorr). If there are any files in there, delete them. Then start Wordcorr.

Patrick tried several things - read more under Wordcorr 2! on the summary page. Then:
In spite of not having installed WordCorr before ever... running the "upgrade" package after having installed the JDK (instead of just the JRE) seemed
to work...

My comment:
Hooray for not letting go! Problem solving ability is not dead in America. Now can somebody figure out why, and help us fix it?