Menu

VTS Scripts and BTL Testing

Help
2011-12-02
2013-05-28
  • Alex Fontaine

Alex Fontaine - 2011-12-02

Hi,

I just had a quick question regarding the scripts that come with the VTS download.  Are the scripts similar to the ones they use during BTL testing, or are they simply included as samples.

Thanks

• Steve Karg

Steve Karg - 2011-12-03

Hi Alex,

The scripts included with VTS were originally used for BTL testing when we were just starting to test.  The tests are derived from ASHRAE 135.1, Method of Test for Conformance to BACnet.

After writing a number of scripts, we realized that the scripting engine needed enhanced, and so BACnet International funded a Python based scripting engine that would make writing the tests easier and the testing more complete.  That product became BITS, and it has yet to be released by BACnet International.

Steve

• Alex Fontaine

Alex Fontaine - 2011-12-07

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the clarification.

I have a few more questions and comments:

1)  When running one of the test scripts, specifically test #1f - Read the Size of an Array in the ReadProperty-IP.vts script, VTS crashed with this error:

Runtime Error!
    Program:  X:\vts-3.5.5-win32\VTS.exe
    abnormal program termination

2) In test #1f - Read the Size of an Array in the ReadProperty-IP.vts script, the Expect is written as follows:
    EXPECT (
          Sa=IUT_ADDR
          PDU = ComplexAck
          Service = ReadProperty
          Object = 0, IUT_DEVICE_OBJECT
          Property = 1, Object-List
          Unsigned = 2,INDEX0
          OpenTag 3
             AL = {Object-List}
          CloseTag 3
        )

Now as I understand it, the AL = {Object-List} is a comparison against the object list property configured in the EPICs file, so this will compare against the whole list, instead of the array size, which is what the test should be testing against.  Is this correct?  Is the script written incorrectly?

This is also the case for test #1g - Read a Single Element of an Array test in the ReadProperty-IP.vts, where the script should be expecting a single element instead of the whole array.

3) In the test #n1a in the ReadPropertyNegative-IP.vts the SEND is attempting a read property of the model-name and is providing an array index.  However, the EXPECTs are expecting one of three results: 
    1) Error Class: 5 (class service error), and Error Code: 7 ( Inconsistent-Parameters),
    or 2) Error Class: 2 (property error), and Error Code: 42 (Invalid array index)
    or 3) PDU reject and reject-reason inconsistent-parameters)

My question here pertains to the second option.  Should the error code be Property Is Not An Array error, or do CharString properties like description, model-name, etc, count as being an array?

Thanks again for any and all help!

Alex