Alex
2004-11-01
2013-04-24
  • Alex

Alex - 2004-11-01

Request For Comment:
    Javascript Search
    or Javascript and Java via LiveConnect

The Java applet presents a few limitations. First, it is difficult to support in multiple browsers (Micro-cough IE). There is the security sandbox to consider (signing), installation of the JVM, temp files, hard-coded User Interface, and who-knows-what-else.

JavaScript might help with a few of these considerations. Javascript manipulates the HTML DOM directly, so we would not need temp files and the UI can be more dynamic (or customized more easily by the site/CD admin). JavaScript is more widely supported by browsers and does not require extra installation.

On the other hand, Javascript can not easily access the local filesystem. Trying to do so introduces many of the same Java problems above (and perhaps worse).

A fully Javascript client might have advantages over Java (with as-of-yet unknown disadvantages). However, LiveConnect might present a compromise. An invisible Java applet could be embedded in a page and be responsible for accessing the search index and collecting hits. Javascript could be used purely at the view/controller level, responsible for displaying hits (highlighting, layout), and receiving user feedback (query submition, next/previous hits).

I imagine the Index will work as it already does (a Java Application).

• Hugo Gayosso

Hugo Gayosso - 2004-11-16

I am not familiar with LiveConnect, or the kind of programming involved to do what you described, but I would like to express my concern regarding portability among at least the following three platforms: MS Windows, GNU/Linux and Mac OS X.

If what you described works the same on the three of them I don't have any issues.

• Alex

Alex - 2004-11-18

Based on test results, I have dropped this idea completely.