Menu

AMD64 64-BIT Windows executeables support

HITCHER
2007-08-17
2013-11-17
  • HITCHER

HITCHER - 2007-08-17

will windows AMD64 64-BIT executeables be supported by UPX in future too?
    Version 3.01w still doesn't compress it.

• László Molnár

I have no 64-bit machine and no 64 bit windows. This makes win64/pe support a bit tricky.

Laszlo

• HITCHER

HITCHER - 2007-08-17

if you have no AMD64 compatible machine, it is possible to emulate one with qemu:
        http://666kb.com/i/ar0dldcllflbiaoyf.png

• dos386

dos386 - 2007-08-29

> if you have no AMD64 compatible machine, it is possible to emulate one with qemu:

YES, but it would be __E__X__T__R__E__M__E__L__Y__ slow.

BTW: Nice 10 KiB screenshot :-)

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2008-08-27

Hi László,

I can give you Remote Desktop access to a 64-bit XP machine (fresh and unused installation), if that might help.

Brgds,
      Viktor

• László Molnár

Hi,

Thanks for your offer. Unfortunately nowdays I do not have time for UPX.

Laszlo

• Alec_X

Alec_X - 2009-09-26

For AMD64 I recommend PESpin x64 http://pespin.w.interia.pl/ solid tool:)

• Valhalla

Valhalla - 2010-02-19

PeSpin worked fine on the exes I tested, but nothing compares to UPX. I hope one day winpe64 is supported …

• Benjamin

Benjamin - 2010-05-24

I second this -  Windows x64 compressor would be brilliant. Without this I can't offer a 64 bit build my application (Aerofoil) as UPX compressed like the 32 bit version.

• Sander Bouwhuis

Sander Bouwhuis - 2011-04-29

Is there any ETA on this feature? Win x64 has been out since April 25 2005.

• Kazimir

Kazimir - 2011-09-28

Seconded! Support for 64-bit executables would be really, REALLY useful!

And with the upcoming of 64-bit OS'es in general, it might be of paramount importance to the continuity of UPX. Would be a shame to see UPX become deprecated! :(

• Pras

Pras - 2011-12-15

Sorry to say it but there are indeed a couple of others that do compress 64bit (and .net) executables.. I won't mention what they are.. I still use UPX for anything 32bit (love it) but to compress a 64bit exe I had to look elsewhere and found some other great compressors!

• Herman BRULE

Herman BRULE - 2013-02-01

I wish pay a freelance to do it because the software is under GPL, but some clause forbid the usage is this case.

• Rogue Unit Media Solutions

I hope that you can find the time to further develop this wonderful tool and to make it capable of supporting AMD64 64-BIT executables in just the same way (or better) as UPX currently handles win32/pe.

Thanks for your work - keep it up !

• Anse

Anse - 2013-11-17

I'm a long time fan of UPX. And I'm just testing out the brand new Win64 support in UPX 3.91w, for HeidiSQL distribution. Works perfectly. No drawbacks or issues here. After compiling, my 64bit build is

1. patched with .po translation files using assemble.exe from gnutext for Delphi
    2. patched by a madExcept exception hander
    3. finally packed with UPX

Everything's peachy so far. So I tend to use it for nightly builds already, although you said "use for testing only".

Last edit: Anse 2013-11-17
  • László Molnár

Cool. Thanks for your report.