Menu

No MIDI music in Linux with any sound driver

Help
plusminus
2008-10-01
2013-04-07
  • plusminus

plusminus - 2008-10-01

Hi, sorry if I missed something in the docs, but I can't get MIDI music working at all in Linux. I've tried using all 3 sound drivers (-sndoss/-sndalsa/-sndsdl ...not all at once obviously), a variety of sample rates, the binary downloads, compiling my own with the uhexen2-sdlmixer-test3.diff patch, etc. etc. but nothing seems to be working.

Sound effects work fine, and the soundinfo console command always prints the expected results. I get console messages saying that midi music is starting (i.e. "Extracting casa3.mid from pakfile; Started music casa3.mid") and I get a file tmpmusic.mid left in my .hexen2 directory when I exit, that I can play with timidity from the command-line. But nothing in game.

Anything to help would be appreciated.

• Ozkan Sezer

Ozkan Sezer - 2008-10-01

Did you compile SDL_mixer by yourself or do you use
      a package provided by your distro?  The problem may
      be that SDL_mixer cannot locate timidity.cfg .  On my
      distro, it is under /etc, like /etc/timidity.cfg

IF you are compiling SDL_mixer by yourself and it
      cannot find timidity.cfg, then edit timidity/config.h in
      the SDL_mixer source before compiling and make sure
      that CONFIG_FILE definition matches the location on
      your disk.

(BTW, music volume is not 0 in hexen2, is it?)

• plusminus

plusminus - 2008-10-01

OK, you pointed me in the right direction. SDL_mixer is a distro package but timidity was a user-compiled package, and the instruments aren't in /usr/lib/timidity where SDL_mixer thinks they should be. A whole lot of symlinking more or less fixes things temporarily, and in the meantime I'm going to look for a better timidity package, or just compile it myself maybe :p

Thanks!

• plusminus

plusminus - 2008-10-02

Just a follow up now that I understand what's going on a bit better. Hopefully this will help anyone else having a problem with music:

SDL_Mixer uses it's own internal version of Timidity, but still reads from /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg . If the instruments aren't where SDL_Mixer's Timidity expects (/usr/local/lib/timidity by default) then you need a line in timidity.cfg that points to them, i.e:

dir /usr/share/timidity

Much of this information comes by way of http://james.hamsterrepublic.com/linux/

Unfortunately the version of Timidity used by SDL_Mixer is kind of old and doesn't support things like reverb or soundfonts :/
      Thus my next question, any possibility for HoT to use an external Timidity in the future? (I realize this isn't exactly high priority :P)

• Ozkan Sezer

Ozkan Sezer - 2008-10-02

I'm glad your issue is solved.

As for using a newer version of timidity, no it isn't a high priority ;)
        But, I may want to use an internal version of timidity if only to
        properly support midi music when using sdl audio and/or drop the
        SDL_mixer dependency.